BARTENDER: Prepare beverages and/or serve food for the customer in a prompt and courteous manner while maintaining a high level of quality and consistency. The Bartender position should be familiar with the latest in mixology, bar equipment, and sanitation standards, with a focus on maintaining an attractive bar. This person is responsible for check handling and cash control procedures. Prepares all requisitions for liquor and set-up items and servicing to the guest. Set up bar including all liquor, mixers, ice, garnishes, glassware and supplies. Perform pre- and post-shift side-work (empty/fill ice-bins, prepare garnishments, replenish/store snacks, etc.). Requisition all necessary supplies. Inventory unused liquor and beverages. Ensure that all liquor is properly secured before, during, and at close of shift. Obtain, count and secure bartender's bank; receive cash and credit payments from customers; give accurate change and balance cash drawer at end of shift. Greet guests pleasantly as they approach the bar; promote house drinks and utilize up-selling skills to maximize revenues. This position offers opportunity for casual conversation, creativity and allows for building on ones style and previous bartending experiences. Adhere to established pouring standards and drink recipes to provide a consistent product to the guests and to control costs. Coordinate food service with restaurant(s) for bar/lounge guests if applicable. Monitor guest behavior and guest alcohol consumption to determine when alcohol service to the guest should cease; notify management of incidents involving excessive alcohol consumption or impaired condition of customers; check identification whenever the age of a guest requesting an alcoholic beverage service is questionable.
- Must have a minimum of one year bartending experience and/or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Must have excellent communication skills as well as the ability to lift, pull and push moderate weight.
- The ability to deal with internal & external guests with a high level of professionalism, tact and diplomacy.
- Must be guest service focused and understand expectations of hospitality and restaurant demands.
- Must be able to work flexible schedule, weekends and holidays.
- Successful candidates will have excellent presentation, interpersonal and communication skills.
- Must be a team player and exude friendly demeanor/personality.
- Reading and writing abilities are utilized often to answer guest's questions regarding the menu.
- Basic math skills are used when performing some restaurant duties.
- Alcohol awareness certification and/or food service permit or valid health/food handler card as required by local or state government agency is a plus.
- Must be able to multi-task and work in a fast paced environment.
- Must be of legal age according to State law.
- Must have knowledge of alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages.
- Preferred candidates will have understanding of state and local serving guidelines.
This job requires the ability to perform the following:
- Handling, carrying or lifting items weighing a minimum of 50 pounds (bar ware, carts, boxes, bottles, etc)
- Moving about the bar, lounge and kitchen
- Bending, stooping, kneeling, lifting
Directly on the bay, and in the heart of Monterey's historic Cannery Row, InterContinental The Clement Monterey Hotel offers magnificent panoramic coastal views and luxurious interior decor.
The hotel is located next to the Monterey Bay Aquarium on historic Cannery Row. The hotel features a boardwalk and observation pier providing views down to the underwater world of the Monterey Bay National Marine Sanctuary.
The hotel is comprised of two four-story buildings connected by an enclosed bridge over Cannery Row. Hotel parking is provided in a separate four-level garage structure.
Apply for this job now.