Company: HEALTH NEW ENGLAND
Job Type: Permanent, FullTime
SUMMARY: The Sr Accountant accurately analyzes and summarizes HNE and subsidiary's medical and non-medical financial transactions from data provided by various sources within the company. This information is utilized to produce relevant and timely financial reports for use in decision making by both internal and external customers. Also, assist Management and the Accounting/Finance Departments in meeting financial and other deadlines in a timely and accurate manner.
Preparation of journal entries to reflect financial transactions from various sources - 40%
- Prepares claims and medical journal entries.
- Prepares mental health and non-mental health journal entries based on claims entered and paid in Amisys.
- Prepares journal entries for pharmacy expenses and non-medical related expenses.
- Prepares Revenue journal entries including premium billing, corridors, risk adjustments, and related payment entries.
- Partners with Accounting Operations on the accuracy of Accounts Receivable.
- Prepares monthly accruals for medical, non-medical and administrative expenses incurred, but not invoices
- Prepares journal entries subsidiary financial transactions and investment in subsidiaries
Partner with Finance to prepare Monthly Health Service Funds (HSFs) and related journal entries - 15%
- Maintains and analyzes provider risk contracts to ensure that Health New England accurately records all surplus/deficit corridors and withhold agreements for Commercial, Medicare, or Medicaid lines of business.
- Maintains accuracy of Excel spreadsheets that appear in the month end closing package.
- Reconciles and analyzes the spreadsheets to reflect the current month's financial information for Management review.
Review Classification & Maintenance of Fixed Assets, Prepaids and/or AP invoices - 15%
- Reviews Associate Accountant's classification of items to be capitalized as fixed assets. Review Excel spreadsheet reconciliation of general ledger and FAS 2000 reports for accuracy. Approve the necessary adjusting journal entries for fixed assets disposals
- Reviews prepaid classification and monthly expense against terms of the invoices. Approve monthly prepaid summaries and journal entries for the amortization of the assets. Review reconciliation.
- Reviews weekly accounts payable for correct account coding prior to entry into SAGE100 system.
Financial Statement Preparation and Analysis - 20%
- Prepares the monthly Statement of Expense Report for each cost center manager based on actual vs. budgeted targets. Analyze and explain administrative budget variances.
- Maintains accuracy of the Line of Business tabs in FINSTATNEW financial report
- Supports account reconciliation variance analysis and explanations
Other Departmental Duties and Support - 10%
- Prepares check requests as needed to authorize the payment to HNE for various expenses, including provider contract payments
- Supports GAAP and STAT year end and interim audits as well as Compliance Monitoring routines
- Supports preparation of documentation and reports for statutory and tax reporting
Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Finance or a related field and more than 3 years of related financial experience preferably in an HMO, insurance, or healthcare environment, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- In depth understanding of GAAP accounting conventions
- Intermediate to advance level Excel skill as well as other various accounting and PC based computer systems including but not limited to FAS 2000, SAGE100, and Amisys Advance
- Good leadership skills including listening, speaking, negotiation, conflict resolution, problem solving and decision making
- Analytical and detail oriented
- Ability to prioritize work and meet short deadlines
- Ability to provide skill training, coaching and feedback to staff
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team departmental and cross functional