Company: EKIM CONSULTING
Job Type: Permanent, FullTime
Salary: £60,000 - £70,000 per annum
My client is a Travel Insurance Services business, part of one of the worlds's leading reinsurers. Founded in 1910, they are a well-established travel insurance provider that offers single-trip, annual, and backpacker policies, as well as specialist cover for seasonal workers such as ski instructors. They are the largest travel underwriter in the UK. Most recently the business has expanded into pet and gadget insurance.
Due to continued growth, they are now looking to hire the following role;
- Governance and Controls Manager
Purpose of the role
The Governance & Controls Manager is responsible for taking the lead for governance compliance across the business and pro-actively challenging non-adherence. The role is to provide guidance and support to both the Executive and the Board on the General Rules, Board Code of Conduct and Practice, Governance Manual and Committee Terms of Reference.
Additionally, be responsible for the design and monitoring of the Compliance Data Management Framework to enable compliance with the business regulatory policies and procedures with the aim of ensuring all Regulatory (FCA) and local regulatory 3rd Party and Product Compliance and Quality standards are met.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Own and manage Governance processes for oversight and challenge
- Plan, execute, and report on various types of governance and assurance reviews, including post-remediation validations
- Lead improvements and design of innovative compliance and controls across the Organization
- Lead compliance related change management initiatives within the Team and across the Organisation
- Support management in handling complex issues with internal auditors and/or external regulators
- Support the effective data-driven reporting and updates to influence decisions and outcomes internally
- Contribute to an environment that fosters innovation and enables continuous improvement of the risk and compliance mindset across the Company
- Consult with cross-functional stakeholders on risks relevant to their processes
- Develop and maintain tight coordination with cross-functional teams, including but not limited to: Compliance, Product, Finance, Risk and Internal Audit
- Participate and/or lead special or ad-hoc projects and initiatives
- Support in the review, amendment and circulation of and contracts and BAAs
- Evaluate and improve internal controls to ensure continuous improvement across the business
- Conduct internal and external Compliance Assurance checking (as required)
- Identify and understand, and as necessary report to the Chief Compliance & Risk Officer, Compliance / Regulatory breaches as identified by any regulatory compliance monitoring undertaken (oversight, due diligence, TCF, MI review etc)
- Collate and report regular MI to the Chief Compliance & Risk Officer: including Conduct, TCF,; provide feedback and raise awareness of any risk identified to the Senior Management team.
- Support completion of RegData and other Compliance reporting
- Conduct overview and trend analysis and reporting
- Generate and monitor MI, KRI and KPI reports as required
- Ensure consistent reporting of Brokers, key suppliers and service providers performance to internal committees and forums as required
- Provide formal feedback to Group Internal Audit, external regulators and monitors as required
- Meet audit and regulatory commitments on time
- As directed by the Chief Compliance & Risk Officer, liaise with internal departments as a point of expertise/escalation in respect of Compliance reviews / oversight
- An active participant of the Conduct and Compliance meetings
- Champion a compliance culture / FCA initiatives within the Company
- Support and Training and Competence within the Company
- Be a primary point of contact for TCF within the Company
- Provide compliance support across the Company as required by the Chief Compliance & Risk Officer
- Manage the Compliance team
Technical Skills Required
- Proven knowledge of FCA/PRA Handbook requirements and Compliance best practice
- Demonstrates ability to practically apply expert knowledge and application in the following key areas:
o Treating Customers Fairly
o Systems and Controls
o Training and Competence requirements
o ICOBS regulations
o Compliance for Appointed Representatives / Brokers
o Data Protection
- Keeps up to date with the latest FCA/PRA/ICO, regulatory and legislative developments and best practices and proactively shares knowledge Sound decision maker, comfortable with tight deadlines and a particular focus on controls
- Strong verbal and numeric reasoning skills
- Ability to collaborate/communicate at all levels.
- Ability to multi-task and manage stakeholders at various levels (both senior and working level)
- Ability to monitor and asses KPI's and other performance indicators in respect of our Outsourced Service Provider.
- Advanced Microsoft Office knowledge and application
Other Skills required
- Good understanding of all relevant UK rules, legislation and regulations and how these can be applied to produce a positive commercial outcome aligned with business goals and objectives
- Practical application of implementing Compliance Frameworks, Monitoring, Oversight and due diligence in a business function
- Understanding of industry best practice in compliance - with links to external bodies and network forums
- Relevant expertise in Financial, Operational or Regulatory (Conduct or Prudential) risk and an understanding of others.
- The office is based in Horsham, West Sussex with home working currently in operation. At least one day a week will need to be spent in the Head Office in Horsham.
- The role may require some travel between offices / clients and/or or working collaboratively other parts of the Group and client network.
This role will offer the successful individual a great opportunity to make their mark in the business. An Insurance background is desirable but not essential.