About the role
BWB Consulting has exciting opportunities for a Principal Engineer to work in our Transport & Infrastructure Group. The role will be working with our Design Development team in our London office.
The team delivers a wide variety of consultancy services to a large client base, both local and national. The Transport & Infrastructure Design Service are responsible for providing a number of engineering services across multiple sectors, at all stages of our client's project, from inception through to commissioning.
Working on challenging and multiple projects simultaneously, you will have significant experience undertaking preliminary and detailed design of roads, levels, drainage and external works in both the public (adoptable) and private realm.
About the team
We work on multidisciplinary projects across the transport, residential, commercial, industrial, education, health and retail sectors. Our clients range from local and national developers and contractors to public sector bodies. We aim to create a working environment that provides challenge, enjoyment and a real sense of satisfaction with a view to encouraging personal and professional development in all our staff.
BWB's Transport and Infrastructure Group combines this requisite expertise with innovative thinking. We also do it in a manner that enables us to focus on the delivery of high quality, value engineered infrastructure capable of serving our nation's current and future needs.
Our talented and experienced design teams fuse local knowledge with national design standards and legislation in a manner that enables BWB to undertake a wide variety of projects.
You will have a keen interest in developing your understanding and ability in civil engineering design and a willingness to research and take on new challenges. You will be able to work independently and use your engineering judgement to tackle day to day problems. You will have experience working with and developing junior members of the team in a mentoring and design management role.
You will have strong experience of the multi-disciplinary nature of complex projects from planning stage, through to completion. You will have good project coordination skills and a sound understanding of other discipline roles on projects.
You will have significant experience of the requirements of working with different types of client in a complex industry - our clients include developers, local authorities and contractors, all of whom have different expectations and requirements from you and the projects you will work on.
You will be expected to have the following personal attributes and skills:
- Technical independence within the field of Civil Engineering design, covering most aspects of preliminary and detailed design of highways, levels, drainage and external works.
- Fully conversant with our industry standard design software packages AutoCad, Civil 3D (although extensive experience in the use of PDS would be considered as long as there is a willingness to train on Civil 3D) and MicroDrainage.
- The use of the Microsoft Office Suite of software, including Excel.
- Experience liaising with both internal and external bodies, including planning authorities, statutory undertakers and national bodies such as the Environment Agency.
- Experience liaising with other consultants such as architects, planners, project managers and directly with Clients.
- Good commercial awareness with effective influencing and negotiating skills, as well as an aptitude to develop emerging and new client relationships.
- Experience of providing an outward facing capacity as a design team representative in dealings with clients on technic