Protection Engineer Technical LeaderLocation:
Charlotte, NC, Knoxville, TN, Palo Alto, CA, Washington, D.C.Job Summary and Description:
The role will involve working with transmission grid companies in North America and around the world to solve modern and exciting grid protection challenges. While experience with setting relays and performing coordination studies is essential, it is important that the candidate be interested in and capable of analyzing larger scale problems. These may include supporting investigations into large-scale blackouts, analyzing protection relay behavior during power swings and other transient disturbances, coordination of and interaction between generator and grid protection devices, and the impacts of inverters and decreasing inertia on protection performance. Through project experience and training the role will enable the candidate to build and develop their expertise in grid protection, protection relays and their applications, settings, and testing. The successful candidate will join a growing team performing protection R&D who are focused on tackling major protection challenges and delivering practical solutions from concept all the way through to deployment in the field.
• Leads research efforts in particular scientific disciplines or technologies and participates the development and application of products and services in those areas through contractors and departmental or cross-functional teams. Applies technical expertise, and has full knowledge of other related disciplines. Develops technical solutions to complex problems which require the regular use of ingenuity and creativity. Organizes the external and interdepartmental activities ensuring completion of the project/product on schedule and within budget. May conduct research directly in complex, high impact technical or scientific fields.
• Ability to apply technical knowledge to industry issues and gain input on needs from members/stakeholders and identify current and emerging technical issues.
• Develops research or services opportunities of value to EPRI members that fit EPRI’s mission and capabilities. This will include solving customer problems, producing insights and information vital to the members, and delivering information in a manner that members and customers can and will apply.
• May provide oversight of a project team to assure technical and financial milestones are met.
• Provides assistance to the EPRI sales staff in Member Services and EPRI International.
• Broaden technical expertise and interface with national and international technical networks with manufacturers, consultants, and academia and research organizations.
• Communicates strategies and results, written and verbal, to program members, potential members and external stakeholders through guidelines, reports, meetings, webcasts, workshops and conferences.
• Manages small or medium (less complex) projects including budgets and resources
Bachelor’s Degree in a technical field or equivalent experience required.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• 5 -7 or more years of research and development project and promotional experience, including development of advanced concepts for internal research or equivalent experience.
• Shows technical expertise and assumes responsibility for highly specialized technical objectives using creative imaginative solutions.
• Experience in performing and/or managing research activities.
• Incumbents must be able to exercise judgment, diligence, and attention to detail and demonstrate an aptitude for carrying out responsible technical assignments.
• Good verbal and written communication skills.
• Manages projects and may work in conjunction with a technical specialist.
• Developing technical depth in 1-2 areas
• Understand how work fits across EPRI programs
Additional Job Information:
• Typically individual contributor, may begin handling supervisory activities for lower level positions.
* Focused and inquisitive attitude towards learning about and solving power system protection challenges
* Ability to investigate unusual and challenging power system disturbances, replicate in simulation, and develop novel, practical solutions which can be validated and deployed in the field
* Understanding of power system faults and sequence components
* Understanding of protection functions and programmable logic used in modern numerical Schweitzer, GE, ABB, Siemens relays
* Experience performing power system disturbance investigations
* Experience running short circuit simulations and protection coordination studies in tools such as Oneliner, PSS-CAPE, or Powerfactory
* Experience with electromagnetic transient modeling and studies in PSCAD, EMTP-RV, ATP-EMTP, or Powerfactory
* Experience working in transmission grid operations or planning.
* Ability to pick up new protection algorithms, applications and philosophies
* Participation in IEEE PSRC, CIGRE B5 or similar industry P&C Working Groups
* Understanding of North American and International utility protection practices
* Knowledge of wind, solar PV, battery energy storage or VSC-HVDC inverter control design and short circuit characteristics
* Experience with transient stability modeling and studies in PSS/E, PSLF, Powerfactory, TSAT, or PowerWorld
* Experience with programming languages and environments such as Python, CUPL, Powerscript, Matlab, MathCAD
EPRI participates in E-Verify, an online system operated jointly by the Department of Homeland Security and the Social Security Administration (SSA). EPRI uses the system to check the work status of new hires by comparing information from the employee's I-9 form against SSA and Department of Homeland Security databases.Note: To ensure compliance with U.S. export controls, please indicate your U.S. citizenship or (for foreign citizens) your U.S. visa/immigration status in your resume or cover letter.EPRI is an equal opportunity employer. EEO/AA/M/F/VETS/DisabledTogether . . . Shaping the Future of Electricity.#removed#