The Data Systems Director is responsible for ensuring the effective collection (Extraction), organization into a database (Transformation and Loading), visualization (Reporting) and accessibility (Training) of accurate data (Quality Assurance) related to the organization’s Theory of Impact. The Data Systems Director is responsible for continually refining our data systems to incorporate new innovations, automate key processes, ensure data quality, and offer timely insight for staff at all levels of the organization. In addition, the Data Systems Director is responsible for providing training and support to staff around access to data tools and use of data and for responding to field staff requests and needs for support.
DATA SYSTEMS DEVELOPMENT
- Collaborate with the Director of Technology and others in the design, development and refining of tools for efficient collection of data related to our organizational Theory of Impact
- Manage and import multi-year data into databases for querying and report generation
- Design and coordinate quality assurance processes around each step of the data collection and transformation processes
- Design, develop and refine data reports that give users insight that they can use to more effectively forward the results and mission of the organization
- Collaborate with the Director of Evaluation to implement views of statistical modeling data to provide self-reflection about the efficacies of our practices and outcomes
DATA SUPPORT SERVICES TO CLIENTS (INTERNAL & EXTERNAL
- Leverage data systems to create coherence and consistency of our implementation across regions to ensure consistency of results
- Create trusting, results-oriented relationships with colleagues and provide services around data collection and usage
- Collaborate with staff to ensure that data systems are tailored to their needs and designed to achieve maximum impact and seek feedback from colleagues to continually improve our data tools
- Respond efficiently to colleague’s requests for support, identification of issues, and requests for new functionality
- Contribute to key organizational processes with clients as needed (e.g. conduct STR visits, support networks, etc.)
YOU’RE A GOOD FIT FOR THIS ROLE IF...
- You are architecture-minded: building projects to last and integrate with a larger framework
- You are an old hand at SQL
- You are interested in data flow and good reporting, and have a service-orientation toward making the best, most reliable data available for our teams.
- You’re familiar with designing database structures, developing data (ETL) pipelines, and crafting data representations to tell a story.
- Have 3+ years as a database developer (in an education or nonprofit setting preferred)
- Specific technologies that would be helpful to know: MySQL, PSQL, Python, Google Cloud Platform, Tableau
- Are comfortable both working alone and in group settings
- You have a record of working well across racial, cultural and gender differences.
- You’re super organized and have a head for anticipating and tending to details; you apply great follow-through and execution skills to achieve ideal results. A natural at collaborating with a variety of functions and personalities across geographies, and know how to prioritize and manage expectations while supporting multiple projects. You take the initiative to find the answers you need and put new processes in place.
- Grounded in customer experience. You view our employees and external contacts as customers, and work hard to shape a positive experience based on trust, support and strong communication. You anticipate future needs while meeting current needs. You know that the customer is not always right, and say so in a supportive way that deepens the relationship.
- Fun. You’re a people-person with high EQ and a keen sense of humor. Even though you’re serious about your work, you have a light-hearted style and don’t take yourself (or others) too seriously. Your colleagues look forward to spending time with you!
- Emotionally mature. You’re not easily offended by debate, pushback and others’ work styles and proclivities. You put the interest of the org first, and don’t get caught up in politics or noise and will hold the organizational line - yet you also understand that tending to the human nature of the work can make or break results.
- A great communicator. You actively listen and ask smart questions. You’re an articulate speaker. You know how to be candid and kind at the same time, and bravely tackle conflicts with a solution-based approach built on facts, empathy and win/win outcomes.
- A natural problem solver. You love challenges and aren't easily discouraged. You’re a resilient, proactive tactician; you see roadblocks before you hit them, and look for creative solutions to get the job done.
- An awesome team member across race, gender and culture. You get the interrelatedness of what we all do. You know the importance of leveraging divergent viewpoints for the betterment of the work, and also know when it’s time to graciously move on. You show up strong when your team members need you. You keep your colleagues accountable for their stuff, and you’re receptive and humble when they hold you responsible. Your empathy and curiosity play in to your ability to understand how our identities shape the way we work and interact with each other.
- Caring. Your moral compass is active, and you’re highly ethical. Your intentions are transparent and you are well-grounded in integrity and empathy. You’re kind to others, even when it involves intense disagreement.
- An agile, lifelong learner with a Growth Mindset. You pick things up quickly and think critically; you’re intellectually curious and deeply committed to learning and growing, even when it’s tough-going - you persevere through mistakes and failure.
IN ADDITION TO A RESUME
In your cover letter, please provide us with a case where you were faced with a challenge that needed a database solution, how you approached solving the problem, and what kind of data representations you chose for it and why. And ERD would be fun to see too!
OUR COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION
With a staff that cares deeply about social justice and equity, we believe that diverse perspectives and background create a rich work environment. We are committed to building an organization with raised consciousness in order to impact how we work with school leaders as well as how we work together as a team. We hope you will join us as we continue to build a diverse organization that fosters a work environment where people from all backgrounds are welcomed and valued.
An education reform non-profit, Partners works in school districts with traditionally underserved populations of students - students of color and poverty. We currently work in the CA Bay Area, Philadelphia, Nevada, and upcoming in the greater New York City area.
Role: Data Systems Director
Location: San Francisco,
Apply for this job now.