The Federal Highway Administration recently awarded the AVS - HDR Joint Venture a Long Term Bridge Performance (LTBP) contract. The LTBP Program itself is anticipated to be a 20-year or longer research effort, focused on detailed inspection, periodic evaluation and monitoring using advanced sensor technologies from a representative sample of bridges throughout the United States. This includes field evaluation, testing and monitoring. Through the efforts of the LTBP, it is expected to not only develop advanced automated tools and technologies as well as advanced data analysis and visualization tools, but also to develop standards and protocols to improve knowledge of bridge performance. Alta Vista will be providing qualified technicians and engineers to assist in data mining and analysis.
- Responsible for developing, reviewing, and implementing all LTBP data collection procedures and related activities, data quality control and assurance, LTBP IMS database quality assurance, data base system quality control checks and other LTBP database activities, as well as nondestructive evaluation (NDE) activities.
- Responsibilities could include managing budgets, approving reports, overseeing orders and delivery of equipment, managing field staff, resolving problems and ensuring that work is completed on time and within budget.
- Provide oversight to the field team, conduct bridge inspections, oversee and performs nondestructive testing (NDE), and identify deficiencies in bridge decks based on these activities.
- Responsible for the daily safe and efficient operation of Nondestructive testing (NDT) equipment, including electrical resistance, impact echo, ultrasonic surface waves, ground penetrating radar, ultrasonic testing and magnetic particle testing
- Perform material sampling per FHWA protocols and specifications (training will be provided)
- Responsible for ensuring consistency and compliance with contracts, agreements, and policies.
- Assist in the installation and operation of sensors and other equipment in the field
- Collect and record weather data
· Perform detailed visual inspection of bridge structural components and report findings in daily reports
Skills & Abilities:
- Effective written, interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to work as part of a team involving staff, clients and outside agencies
- Proficient using Microsoft Office (Word & Excel) and AutoCAD
- Strong problem-solving skills, including identifying data quality issues
- Strong organizational skills, including an ability to prioritize activities and work with limited supervision
- Detail minded
- Results oriented and able to complete tasks on deadline with little supervision
- Ability to make good decisions using sound, professional judgment
- NDE of bridge structures
- Scheduling and coordination for bridge inspections
- B.S. in Civil Engineering required
- M.S. or PhD in Civil Engineering preferred
- P.E. required
- 10+ Years’ experience with transportation projects
- Must have at least 5 years of demonstrated experience utilizing ND technology such as impact echo, ultrasonic surface wave, ground penetrating radar, and electrical resistivity instruments to assess the condition of bridge components such as decks.
- Must demonstrate expertise in interpreting or evaluating test results of above ND methods in accordance with applicable codes, standards, specifications, or procedures; using visualization techniques to detect/map flaws and identify defects; documenting ND methods, processes, results and information; analyzing information and evaluating results to make decisions and solve problems
- Must be available for travel
- Good interpersonal skills and capable of developing technical writing, and communications skills. PC skills required.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
If you are bold. If you are willing to be original and take risks. If you want to make a difference by improving our infrastructure, then you should be an AV-ator! Alta Vista Solutions nurtures its AV-ators to perform as leaders in our industry, providing innovative engineering solutions and embracing our clients challenges as our own. Our mission is to Do Right and give back, while providing a great place to work for our professionals who provide solutions for some of the country's biggest and most complex infrastructure projects. If you want to make an impact; if you want to solve problems; if you want to have fun while learning and growing; then join Alta Vista and become an AV-ator.
Role: Senior Engineer
Apply for this job now.