To conduct outbound sales calls within an assigned sales territory. To establish, grow, and manage distributor relationships in defined vertical markets in order to optimize profit potential for both the distributor and ORS Nasco market penetration, driving the ORS Nasco value of wholesale (VOW) to a broad customer mix in the assigned territory and book of business in the industrial space.
- Research and define total addressable market for target verticals in assigned territory. These may include industrial, welding, safety, oilfield and pipeline, construction, janitorial, material handling, rental, PVF, HVAC, electrical, plumbing, integrated suppliers, as well as other verticals deemed viable.
- Conduct competitor analysis to determine strengths and weaknesses within the target vertical markets in assigned territory.
- Identify and prioritize prospects by target verticals.
- Prepare an annual business plan that includes these tactical elements.
- Create, execute, document and track a calling plan for prospects and current customers in the assigned territory.
- Consultatively engage distributors in the New through Copper tiers, adding value to each sales call.
- Execute complementary activities to enhance sales effectiveness, including marketing materials, sales blitzes and new distributors.
- Identify decision makers within targeted businesses, initiate contact with new prospects and establish a preliminary introductory relationship.
- Programmatically sell the value proposition of wholesale with targeted customers, using various marketing approaches to educate and influence the distributor.
- Determine which prospective customers will benefit from face-to-face discussions to promote VOW. Present cost and pricing information, along with supplier data, focusing on the cost impact of inventory, and the benefits of a continuing relationship with the ORS Nasco distribution network.
- Convert prospects to active customers, closing sales, writing orders and monitoring the engagement of that customer.
- Routinely review and analyze sales reports and other documentation in order to identify both positive and negative trends, making adjustments to the annual calling plan as indicated.
- Interact with all areas within ORS Nasco to ensure accurate and timely integration of new customers within internal systems along with seamless customer service as needed.
- Understand and demonstrate United Stationers' Core Values.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Ability to interact and communicate with all levels of management and technical staff at customer locations, as well as within the company, utilizing verbal, written, listening, negotiating, diplomacy and presentation skills.
- Ability to influence and adjust the message to the audience as appropriate.
- Professionalism with consistent ability to balance a sense of urgency and decisiveness with customer service and attention to detail.
- Refined knowledge of master distributor business model.
- Demonstrated ability to be a self-starter, managing responsibilities independently or executing effectively in a team environment.
- Ability to be flexible with multiple, concurrent priorities.
- Ability to travel on a regular basis to visit customers.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, Outlook and Internet Explorer.
Education and Experience
- Three years direct sales experience in wholesale or industrial markets; five years experience preferred.
- Associate’s Degree required, Bachelor’s Degree preferred.
At Essendant Inc., it is our intention to be the fastest and most convenient solution for workplace essentials. To do this, we need exceptionally talented, bright, innovative and driven employees. If you would like to be part of the team that helps unlock the potential of our customer-partners and those they serve, this is your chance to be involved. Essendant Inc. is a leading national wholesale distributor of workplace essentials, with consolidated net sales of $5.3 billion. Essendant stocks a broad assortment of over 160,000 products, including technology products, traditional office products, office furniture, janitorial and breakroom supplies, industrial supplies, and automotive aftermarket tools and equipment.
We offer an exciting and challenging environment that encourages independent thinking, problem solving, and growth. We believe in giving back to our communities as well as others in need. We embrace diversity and believe our employees create a sustainable competitive advantage. We adhere to the high standards of Our Guiding Actions and Our Values.
Role: Inside Sales Representative
Apply for this job now.