Company: FIDELITY & GUARANTY LIFE INSURANCE COMPANY
Job Type: Permanent, FullTime
The responsibilities of the Manager, Investment Accounting include oversight of the accounting and recordkeeping for insurance company general account investments. The candidate must possess strong Statutory and GAAP accounting and reporting knowledge for investments to support timely and accurate accounting. Experience with accounting for commercial and residential loans and real estate is beneficial. The ideal candidate will enjoy collaborating with other teams, challenging current processes and driving efficiencies.
This position reports to the AVP, Investment Accounting and will interact with all levels of Senior Management. This position will lead a small team of investment accounting professionals and work closely with an external third-party investment accounting administrator and external investment managers.
Duties and Responsibilities
- This position is responsible for accounting and reporting for mortgage assets totaling about $2B. Accounting records are maintained on a U.S. Statutory basis and on a GAAP basis.
- Demonstrate a strong working knowledge of accounting for commercial and residential mortgages and assist with implementation of new accounting guidance.
- Review timely and accurate summaries and detailed investment reports, employing both standard formats and ad hoc analysis as required.
- Responsible for research of ledger and recordkeeping implications of new accounting pronouncements. In this role the individual must work closely with Financial, Tax and Actuarial Reporting; and, with Planning/Analysis teams within Finance Department to develop effective accounting, control and communication procedures to improve those teams' functionality and effectiveness.
- SOX Control owner for mortgage related controls such as troubled debt restructuring (TDR), loan modification, CECL allowance and pricing. Responsible for ensuring the processes are properly documented as to policies, procedures and controls. Support the auditors and internal controls team during their test work.
- Produce or review timely and accurate investment account reconciliations, analysis and documentation of investment-related general ledger income statement and balance sheet accounts. This includes working closely with the third party accounting administrator to research and resolve variances and reconciling items.
- Provide internal audit, external audit, and external insurance department examination deliverables related to investment accounting
- Continuously challenge and improve processes to drive efficiencies in accounting processes and the production of deliverables, including financial statement support and footnote details.
- Responsible for special projects and other duties as assigned
Experience and Education Requirements
- Bachelor's degree in accounting or finance
- 7 years of investment accounting, financial reporting or auditing experience
- Experience in a leadership role
- A solid understanding of the accounting requirements for investment products in accordance with statutory and GAAP accounting principles.
- CPA, CFA and/or MBA
- Industry experience in life insurance or financial services
Skills and Abilities
- Strong communication, organization and analytical skills.
- An ability to handle multiple complex tasks and prioritize in a fast paced environment.
- Ability to balance the day to day accounting requirements with the value-added role supporting management in planning and executing the business plan.
- Expertise to improve processes and utilize technology to make procedures and processes more efficient.
- Self-directed individual who works well with teams.
Since 1959, Fidelity & Guaranty Life Insurance Company (F&G) has offered annuity and life insurance products to those who are seeking security in retirement and protection during life's unexpected events.
As an Iowa Top Workplace1 and a proud equal opportunity employer, F&G employees are empowered, collaborative, dynamic and authentic. We believe that by embracing these values, we will continue to build and strengthen the company, while continuing to be a great place to work.
Explore what it's like to be part of the F&G family: fglife.com/about/culture.html
1Des Moines Register Top Workplaces #removed#