Under the broad supervision of Superintendent of Plant Operations, performs a wide
variety of routine maintenance and preventive maintenance tasks independently and
assists in the accomplishment of more complex maintenance, repair, custodial duties
as assigned, moving or other jobs.
The incumbent must have an aptitude and three to five or more years experience in the
maintenance and/or installation of utility systems including experience in several of the
following trades: plumbing, electrical, HVAC (air conditioning and heating), carpentry
and the interest and ability to learn and become proficient in additional maintenance
Use of Capabilities: (Illustrated by typical activities)
1. Performs routine and requested inspections of plumbing fixtures and components,
identifies problems, performs minor repairs, reports problems not able to correct of which require planning, scheduling or parts procurement. Assists in plumbing repairs.
2. Performs inspections and other preventive maintenance tasks on boilers, pumps,
water circulators, valves, fan controls and other system components. Performs
minor repairs, reports major problems and/or potential problems and assists in the
correction of it.
3. Performs specified routine checks and inspections of air conditioning and air
handling systems and related components; changes filters and belts; reports other problems, or incipient problems and assists in the correction of it.
4. Collects and disposes of rubbish and materials set-aside for disposal.
5. Makes minor carpentry repairs. Also assists with major cleaning projects and
floor refinishing as assigned.
6. Assists in snow removal and in periodic major cleaning projects and floor
refinishing as assigned.
7. Keeps all assigned equipment clean and in proper repair
8. Clears routine clogs or jams in toilets, sinks, urinals, disposals and floor drains as
needed. Assists in the clearing of major sewer line blockages and repairs.
9. Makes routine inspections and tests of electrical systems and components; routinely
replaces light bulbs, fuses, light covers and other minor system elements; reports
major recurring problems and assists electrician in the repair or replacement of
system components and in the installation of new systems or equipment as required.
10. Monitors environmental conditions and equipment used to control the environment in buildings and makes appropriate adjustment in thermostat or control valve
setting and instructs occupants in maintaining desired comfort levels where
11. Accomplishes routine maintenance or other requests of all types as requested and
approved; refers other verbal request to Physical Plant Office for appropriate action.
12. Cleans, removes excess grease, rust or corrosion and when appropriate, paints or
refinishes utility system components, building elements, vehicle components, tools
or other items as needed and requested.
13. Provides general assistance in maintenance, renovations and relocation of projects
14. Receives, procures and/or moves supplies, furniture and equipment and performs
other tasks as directed and required.
15. Responds to emergency calls outside of normal working hours and participates in
the rotating on-call schedule.
16. Performs all work in a safe manner; cleans up debris when job is completed or at
the end of the day; follows accepted safety practices and precautions; corrects or
recommends corrective action for any unsafe conditions encountered or observed in a timely manner; safeguards GCTS tools from loss, unauthorized use and other
17. Provides occasional assistance to custodial or grounds services and assists in
projects in other areas within Physical Plant as needed.
About Gordon-Conwell: Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary (GCTS) is a multi-denominational evangelical Protestant graduate school, unique with its broad array of over 2100 students and 200 faculty and staff from 98 denominations and 64 countries. Our four campuses include a residential model of education at South Hamilton, MA (our main campus); an urban context offering classes in five languages in downtown Boston, MA; and adult educational models in both our Charlotte, NC campus and our offerings in Jacksonville, FL.
Our mission is to prepare men and women for ministry at home and abroad. Rooted in the gospel and Gods Word, the seminary seeks to develop Christian leaders who are thoughtful, globally aware, spiritually mature and ready for a broad array of ministries. While being historically orthodox and evangelical, we seek to address the issues of our times with both relevance to the culture and faithfulness to Christ and Gods truthful Word.
Role: General Maintenance Worker
Location: South Hamilton,
Apply for this job now.