Senior Cook / Health Educator
FSA Your Choice Program
The Senior Cook is responsible for leading and conducting the Healthy Eating Cooking Demonstrations component of the FSA Your Choice Program. This individual conducts a series of educational cooking workshops at a variety of locations and other related requirements ranging from: teaching program participants how to cook affordable, nutritious meals, educate participants about the long-term effects of childhood obesity and Type II Diabetes, as well as other health risks associated with poor nutritional habits.
They also are responsible for supervision of class participants to ensure regular attendance, record-keeping, encourage active participation and learning, and working with site volunteers.
Salary: $16.00 per hour (Non-Exempt)
- Identify specific topics for health education cooking workshops.
- Development and implementation of curriculum.
- Assist with tracking data for program reporting and evaluation purposes.
- Prepares meals for the cooking classes according to an approved menu/curriculum.
- Engage class participants and provide incentives to promote cross-participation in other activities of the FSA Your Choice Program.
- Follow-up with class participants on a weekly basis to ensure progress and understanding of cooking skills and concepts.
- Reads menus, estimates ingredients for each meal, and ensures that adequate supplies are available prior to meal preparation.
- Obtains supplies from storerooms and freezer, ensures that items are prepared, cooked and served in accordance with nutritional standards as required.
- Accurately prepares weekly inventory.
- Maintains cleanliness and sanitation of site kitchen and/or congregate dining area according to Agency, program, Department of Health, Cal/OSHA, HACCP (Hazard analysis and critical control points) standards at a minimum
- Training, supervision, and documentation of program volunteers.
- Assist in the Agency CQI (Continuous Quality Improvement) process as needed to improve department success.
- Retain all records and reports required by program and funding source to be maintained by the Agency in an organized and secured location, following HIPAA
(Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act) policies/procedures for client confidentiality.
- All other duties as assigned and necessary.
- Punctual and regular attendance.
Report to: Program Director
High School Diploma or GED equivalent
Two years cooking experience in the food service industry
One (1) year supervisory experience in the food service industry
Good communication skills (written & oral)
Computer literate on Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook
Background Fingerprint Clearance (Live Scan)
Drug Test Clearance
Licenses & Certifications:
Current Food Handlers Permit required
Valid and current California’s Driver’s License
Current and Clean DMV Printout report
Up to date proof of car insurance
The following must be obtained within 90 days of hire and maintained as
a condition of employment:
First Aid and CPR
Food Safety Managers Certification
Physical & Mental Demands:
Ability to lift and carry up to 30 pounds to at least a distance of 10 feet
Ability to multi-task and manage multiple priorities
Ability to deal with the public in a professional manner
Ability to work with a diverse client population and Agency workforce in a professional
and respectful manner
Location of work:
Site may vary based on need (Moreno Valley, San Bernardino, San Jacinto, Victorville)
Availability to work on weekends as needed
Family Service Association has been a leader among non-profits serving families in need since 1953. Over the years, FSA has responded to the changing dynamics of families, by expanding the scope of services to include comprehensive care for families in need. We have been blazing the way for our community and encouraging our neighbors to think outside-the-box when it comes to caring for each other.
Our mission is Building community one family at a time, through compassion, advocacy and comprehensive model services, fostering self-sufficiency and sustainable impacts.
Family Strength is Community Strength
Help make a difference.
Apply today and join our family!
Role: Cook/Health Educator
Location: Moreno Valley,
Apply for this job now.