The US Signal fully deployed, 14,000-mile network is guaranteed to deliver resiliency, flexibility and scalability. It is the most robust network of its kind in the Midwest, and serves as the backbone for a full suite of colocation, security and computing services. This includes both HIPAA Compliant Cloud-based and Network-based solutions, and is relied upon by everyone from entrepreneurial individuals and startups to Fortune 500 level companies.
We are currently seeking a Technical Support Specialist to join our team in Grand Rapids, Michigan. This position is performed on-site and is not remote.
The Technical Support Specialist will be responsible for all level one customer trouble and support for the US Signal Network. Technician will be competent in all facets of T1, DS3, SONET, & DWDM Optical Transport facilities, MUXES, DACS, Ethernet Technologies, IP, Networking & Routing, IP interfaces, configurations (Cisco IOS and Adtran AOS) and services. Technical Support Specialists report to the Technical Operations Supervisor but also take direction from the Technical Operations, Manager of Network Surveillance and Executive Vice President of Operations.
- Receive incoming customer calls for trouble/technical support.
- Create and work trouble tickets for incoming customer calls utilizing US Signal proprietary ticketing software.
- Probe customers for most valuable information in relation to trouble for accurate tickets.
- Perform fault isolation and remote testing using Digital Lightwave ASA 312 and NIC test heads, Tellabs 5500 NGX DCS, Fujitsu 4500, Adtran 2820/2800 & Telect MIX56 MUX equipment, and Cisco 15454, 15600 and MSTP maintenance and PM functions for various levels of service from T1 to OC192 and 10G DWDM waves.
- Troubleshoot various levels of Ethernet and IP related issues using remote secure session access to Core/PE/Premise managed Cisco (7609, 1941, ASR 1000/9000 series) and Adtran (3200 series) routers, and Ethernet aggregation/premise devices (TA5000, 818, 838, etc.) for various levels of service from 3Mb bonded services to Gigabit Ethernet.
- Cooperatively test and work with external vendors, partners and LECs to sectionalize and repair network and local loop issues.
- Provide continual status updates to customers regarding trouble tickets.
- Configure, manage, and troubleshoot cloud based multi-tenant firewall services (Cisco ASR 1002) and client based (PfSense).
- Support US Signals cloud-based Data Center solutions (VM, Dedicated Servers, and Utility Storage).
- Troubleshoot various levels of VMware vCloud Director and Windows Server (2008/2008 R2/2012/ 2012 R2) related issues using available server access methods.
- Cooperatively work with other internal US Signal departments such as Engineering and Outside Operations.
- Open internal trouble tickets on USS hardware/software issues and assign to appropriate groups.
- Perform provisioning duties to include additions, deletions, moves, & cuts
- Other projects as assigned by US Signal Management.
Experience and Skills:
- Ability and desire to work an overnight shift.
- 1 year experience working in a Technical IP Telecom Environment.
- Strong knowledge of Telecom/Transport Infrastructure including T1 & DS3 technologies and outside plant facilities.
- Familiarity with SONET and/or DWDM.
- Strong knowledge of Data/IP Networking including IP Subnetting, NAT, DHCP, etc.
- Strong knowledge of routing protocols including BGP and OSPF.
- Experience with MPLS/VRF preferred.
- Experience with VES, VPLS preferred.
- Understanding of the following: routing, switching, QoS, VPN and firewalls desired.
- Working Knowledge of VMware, and Windows Server/Linux OS is a plus.
- DNS (BIND) and Email hosting experience a plus.
- High level of analytical ability and strong attention to detail and accuracy.
- Excellent organization skills.
- Ability to multitask in a fast paced environment
- Ability to work well with all areas of the US Signal organization as well as external customers and vendors.
Experience in Microsoft Windows and Office, familiarity with network tools (i.e. ping, trace route, nslookup, etc.), DNS & email servers, and UNIX/Linux operating system is preferred. Experience with customer support ticketing systems is desired. Working experience with VMware or Virtual Environments also preferred.
Technical training in IP, networking, routing, and telecommunications is required. A B.S. in Telecom, Computer Science/Information Systems or Networking is ideal. CCNA preferred, or other applicable Cisco Certifications.
Strong working knowledge of Network Operations Center practices/services with significant Data/IP Network Maintenance experience is required. Technical experience in a data center, ISP, or telecom environment is desired.
Working Conditions and Physical Demands
This position operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment.
CCNA and other Cisco certifications preferred.
We offer a competitive compensation and benefits package including a 401k plan with a match. If you are looking to be part of a dynamic team, please apply now.
Equal Opportunity Employer