Mechanical Engineer II
Business Division - Cooking North America - Vulcan Food Service
Business Unit - Vulcan Steam Cooking
Manager Level: Non-Manager
EEO-1 Category: Professionals (02)
Education: Bachelor Degree in Mechanical Engineering
Experience: 5+ Years equipment design in a food service, commercial or industrial equipment manufacturing environment with hands-on development experience required.
Scope & Function
The Mechanical Engineer (ME) reports to the Business Unit Manager (BUM) and is the lead mechanical engineer for the Vulcan Steam Cooking business unit.
A key member of the electro-mechanical design team, the ME is responsible for new kettle, braising pan and steamer development including 2D and 3D design work as well as layout and detail drawing creation and updates.
Additional engineering responsibilities include sheet metal design work, component sizing and selection, code calculations and documentation, bill of material management and change notice processing while freely supporting daily sales and manufacturing activities.
The ME will evaluate current designs and identify unmet customer needs to develop, test and launch product enhancements as well as altogether new lines of cooking equipment.
Using ITW tools such as 80/20 and other methodologies, the ME will also lead cost reduction and continuous improvement projects to simplify the product offering and reduce manufacturing complexity.
Strong project management skills and an ability to work independently in both an office and lab environment are required to achieve product development milestones as well as cost reduction and growth targets.
Self-motivated, the ME should be curious, inventive and creative with a proven record of developing new technologies based on customer feedback and market insight.
Working with a wide range of suppliers and internal resources, including corporate engineers, the ME is an extension of the business unit and must possess a solid business acumen and strong communication skills.
Together with the BUM and other design team members, the ME will actively shape the innovation roadmap while setting development priorities as part of the annual Long Range Plan (LRP) process.
Skills / Ability
• Professional presence, trustworthy and independent.
• Proven experience designing food service equipment including layout, detailing and tolerancing with commercial, industrial or related equipment experience considered.
• Deep knowledge of commercial cooking standards
• Capable of leading multiple projects simultaneously requiring supplier coordination and hands-on testing and troubleshooting in the lab.
• Strong results orientation embraces the 80/20 principle with a keen focus on achievement.
• 2D and 3D mechanical design experience using SolidWorks required.
• Familiarity with heat transfer and power calculations as well as control circuit operation.
• Routinely uses spreadsheets and other analytical tools to perform calculations and analyze data.
• Team player that supports co-workers and other internal customers.
• Thrives in an entrepreneurial environment where all employees make informed decisions with known risks understood and shared by all.
• Perform daily mechanical engineering functions for the business unit including design, layout, testing and evaluation of new technologies, products, sub-assemblies and components.
• Update existing designs and components to improve efficiency while reducing costs, and minimizing both customer maintenance efforts and warranty expense.
• Pioneer altogether new cooking technologies, including more efficient designs, to further strengthen Vulcan's position as an innovator within the food service equipment industry.
• Manage and continuously improve in-house testing procedures for all lines of Steam Cooking equipment to improve product quality and worker safety.
• Maintain BOM's ensuring that standard costing files are updated while reviewing and documenting engineering change requests as appropriate.
• Support code compliance activities for new and existing products including ASME, CRN, UL, CSA, Energy Star and state level submissions and maintain required documentation.
• Collaborate with other design team members to develop written instructions and manuals for installation, setup, operation and troubleshooting of Steam Cooking equipment.
• Identify and coordinate Toolbox cost reduction activities related to mechanical components while sharing ideas for component and product line simplification (PLS).
• Coordinate development efforts with suppliers and in-house personnel to minimize time-to-market while ensuring that Stage Gate milestones are completed.
• Manage patent applications in conjunction with ITW's internal legal team to ensure that filings are submitted as necessary while participating in regular technology review meetings.
• As requested, work with and support other ITW Food Equipment Group operations to develop and improve new cooking technologies.
• Learn and embrace the ITW Business Culture to strengthen our unique ITW Competitive Edge.
Physical Requirements / Working Conditions
Travel approximately 10% of the time.
Based in Troy, OH
We are a manufacturer of Commercial grade Cooking Equipment that is sold to all channels of the Food Industry located in the US. Our Production facility is located in Charlotte North Carolina , and that location also houses our Marketing team We are part of the Vulcan Cooking North America that reports to our parent Corporation Illinois Tool Works
Role: Mechanical Engineer II - Steam
Apply for this job now.