JOB PURPOSE -
To Provide Clinical Management and Leadership ward team, this includes being a highly visible role model
and mentor.. The post-holder has responsibility for overseeing and maintaining the highest standards of
care. The role will act as a senior clinical member of the team, providing advice and support as well as
overseeing and hold responsibility for the ward environment and its resources.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES -
- Manages the ward and resources effectively, taking steps to ensure that appropriate staffing levels and skill mix of nursing experience and skills is in place including effective rota management, annual leave and training arrangements.
- Has full oversight of the nursing staff rota and is the authorised individual to ensure rota management and eRostering standards are maintained and are effective.
- Ensures that all members of the nursing team receive clinical supervision, appraisal, CPD requirements and complete mandatory training.
- Addresses shortfalls in development and ensures that training and performance issues are addressed.
- Recognises and rewards positive performance by the nursing staff, commensurate with their roles and responsibilities.
- Acts as a highly visible role model, mentor and leader, creating a culture that promotes learning, development, inquiry and professionalism, celebrates achievements and shares learning to the benefit of the ward, hospital and wider division.
- Disseminates implements and monitors compliance with relevant policies and statutory requirements of the hospital, division and group.
- Takes appropriate action to ensure that the standard of care that patients receive is of the highest standard.
- Ensures that all patients have clear current care plans that reflect their personalised needs, and are evidence based and ensures that family members and carers are suitable engaged based on the needs and wants of the patient.
- Ensure the ward has clear procedures and processes to support the safe and effective running of the ward at all times, including the nutrition of patients, cleanliness of the environment; using tools such as Quality walk rounds to assist.
- Actively lead on the recruitment and retention of staff to the ward and hospital.
- Ensures that clinical communication, records, handovers, reports and other patient related information is conveyed and recorded promptly and accurately.
- Develops and maintains strong and effective working relationships with all clinical and non-clinical colleagues.
- Makes sure that the physical healthcare needs of patients are assessed and managed effectively, alongside their mental health and psychological needs equally.
- Promotes and applies the requirements of diversity and equality.
- Undertakes and completes clinical investigations, complaints, and HR investigations, ensuring these are completed thoroughly, promptly and to a high standard.
- Ensures that the legislative frameworks regarding the Mental Health Act, Mental Capacity Act and Deprivation of Liberties is applied in accordance with Company Policy, and National Requirements.
- Is responsible for Medicines Management in their Clinical Area/Ward, and ensures that all Registered Nurses undergo competency-based assessments as part of their induction and facilitates an open and transparent framework for managing medicine errors.
- Liaises with Ward Pharmacist and acts promptly regarding items identified by Pharmacist Audits, or other requirements.
- Ensures that Incident reporting is completed promptly and takes corrective action where required, engaging colleagues in the process, where appropriate.
- Leads Team reviews of incidents; makes sure that staff receive incident debriefs in a timely way.
- Engages with other members of the Ward MDT, to fac