Blaine, MN (population 67,939), a rapidly growing community located in the northwest metro of the Twin Cities, situated only 11 miles from downtown Minneapolis, seeks candidates with strong skills in project and budget management and a full range of experience in public works operations for its newly created position of Assistant Director of Public Works.
The Assistant Director of Public Works will oversee the Division Supervisors for daily operations and maintenance of streets, parks, water, sewer, and storm sewer infrastructure. The Assistant Director will work with the Director of Public Works in developing a long-term vision and plan for the department and must be a highly collaborative, pro-active, forward thinking leader. The Assistant Director will be part of the Public Works Department management team with both the Director and City Engineer to ensure new developments are incorporated into the city's long term maintenance strategies including staffing and other resource needs resulting from this growth.
The City of Blaine encompasses 34 square miles. The Public Works Department includes 10 FTEs for management and administration plus 45 FTEs in the divisions of Water, Sewer and Storm Sewer, Streets Maintenance, Parks Maintenance, and Fleet Services represented by a collective bargaining agreement. An additional 15-20 seasonal employees are added each year. The Department also includes the divisions of Engineering and Asset Management/Fleet Services, which report to the Director of Public Works.
Blaine currently owns and operates 21 wells, 32 lift stations and three water treatment facilities, with a fourth treatment facility under construction. The city is also responsible for approximately 270 centerline miles of paved roadway, over 170 miles of sidewalks and trails, and 67 municipal parks that provide a variety of activities.
The full Public Works operations budget for 2021 is $8,652,050. The water utility budget is $11,155,710, the sewer utility budget is $10,355,755, and the stormwater utility budget is $3,104,870 for 2021.
- Bachelor's Degree in Civil Engineering, Public Works Administrator, Public Administration, Business Administrator, or closely related field. A Master's Degree is a plus.
- Five years of experience in public works management, engineering, construction management or infrastructure maintenance and operations.
- Five years of supervisory level experience.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
The Ideal Candidate Will Be:
- A collaborative leader, able to form cooperative working relationships with a wide variety of internal and external stakeholders.
- Able to develop, mentor and coach staff.
- A skilled project manager, able to manage multiple and complex projects and budgets.
- Experienced in all areas of public works, with specific experience in water, wastewater, and stormwater management.
- Highly responsive to community concerns, needs, and inquiries.
- Knowledgeable and up to date with best practices for public works management and service delivery and capable of implementing the same in an organization.
Compensation and Benefits
The expected hiring range for the position is $99,426.60 to $114,350+/- DOQ. The full compensation range for the position is $99,426.60 to $121,830 with a performance range that extends to $129,256. The City of Blaine provides an excellent benefits package.
How to Apply
Interested candidates should apply online by May 28, 2021 with resume, cover letter and contact information for five work-related references at #removed# to the attention of Charlene Stevens, Senior Vice President, GovHR USA, 630 Dundee Road, #225, Northbrook, IL 60062. Tel: #removed# Ext 124. The City of Blaine, MN is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Click Here For Brochure!
Posted:May 25, 2021
Powered by JazzHR