The System Administrator's role is to manage, maintain and tune in-house computer network, server, storage and software systems to ensure high levels of availability and security of the supported business applications. This individual also participates in the planning and implementation of policies and procedures to ensure system provisioning and maintenance that is consistent with museum goals and industry best practices. The IT System Administrator reports to the IT Director.
Strategy & Planning
- Participate in and support capacity planning and the development of long-term strategic goals for systems and software in conjunction with end-users and department managers.
Acquisition & Deployment
- Coordinate with consultants, colleagues and others to implement systems that utilize industry best practices to meet museum objectives.
- Evaluate, install, configure, and deploy new applications, systems software, products, and/or enhancements to existing network, server, storage and software systems throughout the museum.
- Manage, maintain and tune computer network, server, storage and software systems
- Ensure the integrity and security of data on host computers, multiple databases, and during data transfer in accordance to business needs and industry best-practices regarding privacy, security, and regulatory compliance.
- Perform network and security audits.
- Perform and test routine system backups and restores.
- Anticipate, mitigate, identify, troubleshoot, and resolve hardware and software problems on computer network, servers, storage and software. Escalate incidents as necessary.
- Practice network asset management, including maintenance of network component inventory and related documentation and technical specifications information.
- Analyze computer network, server, storage and software system performance.
- Recommend, schedule, and perform software and hardware improvements, upgrades, patches, reconfigurations, and/or purchases.
- Conduct research on emerging products, services, protocols, and standards in support of systems/software procurement and development efforts.
- Participate in negotiations with vendors, outsourcers, and contractors to secure software products and services.
- Develop, document, and maintain policies, procedures and associated training plans for system administration and appropriate use.
- Provide guidance to members of the IT Department and other colleagues at the museum.
- Additional duties as needed.
- Bachelor's degree in computer science
- 8 years related work experience, or an equivalent combination of education and work experience.
- Extensive technical knowledge of network, server, storage and PC operating systems and hardware.
- Extensive knowledge of network protocols.
- Excellent troubleshooting skills and methodology.
- Experience documenting and maintaining configuration and process information.
- High level of interpersonal skills.
- Good ability to think logically combined with creativity to solve unusual array of questions and problems.
- Organized, energetic, positive, work effectively under pressure, and manage multiple tasks
- Ability to maintain confidentiality within and outside the museum.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to move from place to place, twist, bend, reach, grasp etc.; crawl into tight spaces. Utilize a computer terminal and general office equipment. Lift and carry up to 50 pounds short distances.
- Ability to work on-call evenings, weekends and holidays.
This position is open until filled
HOW TO APPLY
This is a regular, full-time (37.5 hours per week), exempt position that includes benefits. Please, no phone calls in regards to this job. To apply, please visit the Exploratorium job page.
The Exploratorium is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and values diversity, inclusion and respect. We welcome and strongly encourage applicants from all backgrounds. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment.
Powered by JazzHR