At The Sill, bringing life to people and people to life means creating an environment that fosters inclusion, resilience and growth for all. We are a D2C e-commerce brand offering plants and biophilic design in an effort to connect people with nature.
We're looking for an Assistant Controller to join our growing team. In this role, you will oversee day-to-day accounting tasks in partnership with our third party Accounting firm, build reporting processes in alignment with internal policies and external regulations, and establish a robust auditing and reconciliation schedule. Our Finance team is growing, and we are looking for an individual that is eager to join a fast growing start-up. The successful candidate will be excited by the prospect of building new procedures and providing innovative solutions in order to scale. This is a great opportunity for someone that wants to build from the ground up and have lasting impact.
This role reports to the Chief Financial Officer.
The Assistant Controller will collaborate with the Finance team (which consists of our Chief Financial Officer and Financial Analyst) and Graphite (our outsourced accounting firm) to strengthen The Sills accounting practices. In this role, you will work in tandem with the CFO to enhance our reporting processes (including credit, A/R, A/P, balance sheets, reconciliations, month-end, and quarter-end). You will drive success for the business by developing financial controls and process improvement initiatives, advancing our ability to forecast and plan for our long-term goals. You will work closely with cross-functional stakeholders, including The Sills leadership team, and share key findings to ensure we are on track to accomplish goals and mitigate risks.
Areas of Responsibility
- Supervise accounts receivable and accounts payable, redeveloping current processes to ensure The Sills financial practices are in compliance with GAAP principles.
- Maintain third-party vendor relationships with key billing contacts, ensuring payments are processed timely and accurately.
- Oversee and manage third-party Accounting firm to ensure timely and accurate bookkeeping, journal entries, and month-end and quarter-end reconciliation.
- Manage The Sills financial close calendar, coordinating with internal and external stakeholders when required.
- Lead process improvement initiatives to reduce close timeline and improve internal controls, implementing new practices and automations as needed to ensure financial accuracy.
- Develop annual financial review and auditing process in collaboration with external auditing firm.
- Enhance current financial reporting practices, ensuring accuracy by location and sales channel, for a smooth reconciliation process.
- Serve as the primary administrator for Abacus, The Sills expense reporting system, collaborating with the People Operations team on updating the Companys expense policy as needed
- Review bi-weekly payroll in Justworks, ensuring accurate hours and deductions are recorded for both exempt and nonexempt employees, running off-cycle payments as needed.
- Partner with the People Operations team on updating and maintaining accurate employee compensation records in Justworks, including salary changes, benefits deductions, leave of absence records, and paid time off.
- Own federal, state, and local government tax processes, including registering for entity FEINs, overseeing sales tax compliance in Avalara, and ensuring returns and filings are submitted to tax agencies by established deadlines.
- Oversee The Sills income tax filing process, ensuring compliance with federal and state regulations.
- 7-8+ years of professional Accounting experience
- CPA Certification
- An educational background in Accounting is beneficial, but not required
- Professional experience in working with accounting for physical goods and product inventory
- A solid understanding of GAAP principles and regulations
- Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Office, specifically Excel
- Working knowledge of Netsuite
- Experience working with the following platforms is beneficial, but not required: Abacus, Bill.com, Avalara
- Strong communication skills with the ability to present information in a clear and concise manner
- Strong organizational skills, with the ability to prioritize tasks swiftly as needs and priorities change
- Attention to detail is key: you can get into the unique details of financial reports and billing transactions, using your problem-solving skills to find resolution
- You can develop and implement new processes, as well as improve the existing processes The Sill currently has in place
- You have a strong presence and can effectively communicate with collaborators and cross-functional partners
- Lover of The Sill!
What we look for in future teammates
SERVICE: You are passionate about helping our customers live a life well-lived by anticipating, meeting and even exceeding their needs to ensure they have an enriching experience. When issues arise, you reason and intuit to provide a fair and timely resolution.
OPTIMISM & POSITIVITY: Regardless of our size, you remain humble, resourceful and committed to the brand vision. You are always nimble, excited to tackle new problems and focused on the future.
GROWTH: You desire to continually evolve and level up, both by taking risks to create and innovate and using failure as a learning experience. You seek out and provide feedback that is both honest and kind.
TEAMWORK: You hold yourself and others accountable for The Sills success. You consider the impact your work has on others. You air issues quickly and with respect, understanding that together is the only way forward.
EXCELLENCE: You strive to be the best without succumbing to perfectionism by utilizing critical thinking and clear communication. You maintain rigor, discipline and dedication to ensure consistency.
- Stay healthy and happy through our comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision, and more
- Invest in your future by participating in our 401(k) program
- Make time for you through our unlimited Discretionary Time Off policy and generous holiday calendar
- Care for your wellbeing through our personalized mental health and wellness resources
- Grow your family and take part in paid primary caregiver and other parental leave policies
- Level up your workspace and have us take care of your at-home work setup
- Work more efficiently by taking advantage of our cell phone and internet stipends
Salary ranges for all of our positions are pre-determined on where the position is leveled within our growth path matrix. Salary ranges are reviewed during your first interview to ensure alignment.
About The Sill
Biophilic design for the naturally curious.
At The Sill, we offer new ways to infuse nature into as many everyday rituals as possible through biophilic design, increasing your connectivity to the natural world. In the past year, weve gained a new perspective on the spaces we inhabit: our homes, our offices, our home-offices! Tending and cultivating all these places offers a chance to reflect, restore and transform for the better.
Kick-started in 2017, we are backed by over $15M in institutional venture capital from first-class investors including Brand Foundry Ventures, The Chernin Group, Loft Growth Partners and Raine Ventures.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
We are committed to creating a more diverse, inclusive and equitable world, starting here at The Sill and leading by example beyond the workplace.
Our intent is to build an environment where people are free to bring their fullest selves to their work. We celebrate diversity of age, race, traits historically associated with race, including, but not limited to: hair texture, hair type, and protective hairstyles, ethnicity, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition (including genetic characteristics), genetic information, marital status, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding and/or related medical conditions), gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, citizenship status.
The Sill is dedicated to living out these principles in regard to all aspects of employment, including but not limited to recruiting, hiring, placement, transfer, training, promotion, rates of pay, and other compensation, termination, and all other terms, conditions, and privileges of employment.
Interested in the position, but have a question before you apply? Please reach out to us by emailing #removed#