COMPANY: STANDARD CHARTERED BANK
JOB TYPE: Permanent, FullTime
About Standard Chartered
We are a leading international bank focused on helping people and companies prosper across Asia, Africa and the Middle East.
To us, good performance is about much more than turning a profit. It's about showing how you embody our valued behaviours - do the right thing, better together and never settle - as well as our brand promise, Here for good.
We're committed to promoting equality in the workplace and creating an inclusive and flexible culture - one where everyone can realise their full potential and make a positive contribution to our organisation. This in turn helps us to provide better support to our broad client base.
The Role Responsibilities
A newly created role within the Group Corporate Secretariat's ("GCS") central team, to support the Executive Director Board Governance, in providing high quality advice and support across a broad range of company secretarial and governance activities to the listed PLC so as to facilitate exemplary corporate governance. This includes supporting the compliance with relevant legislative, regulatory and best practice requirements; co-ordinating the delivery of a range of board governance activities, such as FCA/PRA, FRC and listing rules compliance, supporting the delivery of comprehensive directors induction and ongoing training and development plans, ensuring INEDs compliance with the requirements of the Senior Managers Regime ("SMR").
Board and Committee Governance
- To act as a key point of contact for the provision of high-quality advice and support on general listed company secretarial and corporate governance queries
- To keep the INED SMR Handbook up to date in co-ordination with the Global SMR team
- To assist in the production of the corporate governance and directors' report sections of the Annual and Half-Year Reports, liaising with key internal functions and stakeholders to collate and verify statutory and regulatory data, collaborating with the Hong Kong GCS team as required
- To support the Annual and Half Year Report approval meetings of the SCPLC Board and manage the release of the RNS announcements to the market through the London Stock Exchange
- To act as key point of contact for the publication of stock exchange announcements on the London Stock Exchange more generally, including ensuring the operational risk control process is followed and upheld
- Ensure that GCS keeps pace with developing and emerging best practice, new legislation, regulatory and corporate governance developments, including drafting reports and papers on relevant matters, holding teach-in sessions and providing updates to the London GCS team and Global GCS colleagues, where relevant
- Work collaboratively with subsidiary governance teams within the function to enable effective sharing of best practice
- To support the appointment, resignation and changes to the PLC Board, in particular leading the screening process and supporting the FCA/PRA regulatory applications
- To support the co-ordination and delivery of new PLC Board director induction plans, including the GCS induction, collaborating closely with the PA to the PLC Board
- To support the Fit and Proper screening of PLC INEDs, ahead of appointment and on an annual basis, working closely with the HR team to ensure a robust and smooth process for the INEDs
- To co-ordinate the ongoing training and development plans for the SCPLC Board directors, including ensuring the efficient and effective recording and monitoring of those plans, with oversight from the Executive Director, Board Governance. Be responsible for maintaining the evidencing of the INEDs Reasonable Steps and ensure these are recorded in the most efficient and effective way
- To support the Secretary of the Remuneration Committee with the provision of papers to the Committee through Board Intelligence and filing of documents with the regulator
Regulatory & Business Conduct
- Responsible for ensuring that Department Operating Instructions / Procedures notes are created, maintained, updated and reviewed annually for all the above key responsibilities assigned
- Responsible for ensuring relevant information (as assigned) that is made available on the GCS Bridge site is accurate and maintained at all times. Complete the annual assurance process led by Board Operations.
- Maintain the relevant sections of the obligations register eg. FRC Code, Shareholder Directives, Market Abuse Regime etc.
- Display exemplary conduct and live by the Group's Values and Code of Conduct
- Take personal responsibility for embedding the highest standards of ethics, including regulatory and business conduct, across Standard Chartered Bank. This includes understanding and ensuring compliance with, in letter and spirit, all applicable laws, regulations, guidelines and the Group Code of Conduct
- Effectively and collaboratively identify, escalate, mitigate and resolve risk, conduct and compliance matters.
- Head of Group Secretariat
- Executive Director, Board Governance and Shareholder Services GCS
- Country Company Secretaries / Responsible Persons
- Group Functions - particularly SCPLC INEDs, Global SMR, Group HR, Group Legal, Group Finance, Group Corporate Affairs
Our Ideal Candidate
- Newly ICSA qualified or part qualified with post grad experience.
- Experience of working within a UK listed company of substantial size and complexity with further listings overseas, preferably with some financial services experience
Apply now to join the Bank for those with big career ambitions.
To view information on our benefits including our flexible working please visit our career pages .