Purpose of the Position
Under moderate supervision provides purchasing expertise in support of the Company vision, mission, and strategic plan. For all assigned lines ensures the optimum supply and variety of product in each distribution center to ensure all customer needs are met. Recommends suitable promotions and participates with the Procurement Head of Category Manager in negotiating price and identifying potential new products.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- On the schedule designated by the manager, reviews historic data reflecting prior customer purchasing decisions for assigned lines. Within predefined Company guidelines identifies and order the most cost-effective quantity and variety of product so that customer needs and company profitability goals are met. Works with Procurement Head to negotiate prices, quantities, and delivery dates with vendors utilizing Company history, market research data, sales costs, and anticipated volumes. Secures approval from Procurement Manager for purchases over the designated approval level. Quantities results and related cost savings.
- Regularly reviews inventory levels and reacts appropriately to facilitate product availability and optimum inventory turnover. Responds verbally and/or in writing to inquiries and regularly reports status on assigned product lines to Procurement Manager. Expedites and de-expedites orders, as needed.
- Responsible for overall integrity of assigned lines, including but not limited to correct pricing, terms, freight and management of overstock, discontinued and obsolete product.
- Maintains a purchasing manual for each assigned lines within department guidelines. Initiates a purchasing manual on new lines.
- Assists in the development of new product introduction sheets, sell sheets, and sales bulletin pricing to promote specific products. May be responsible for analyzing results of present marketing materials.
- Provides appropriate oral and written information to sales management and internal and external sales persons on assigned products. As requested provides information on assigned product lines for special reports and analyses.
- May participate in the development of marketing strategy to promote assigned product lines. May evaluate current and potential products and product development programs including rebates, gross profit, advertising allowance and preparation of return on investment analyses and sales projections.
- Maintains and expands product and technical knowledge by attending workshops, reviewing publications, and establishing rapport with vendors.
- Contributes to departmental and Company effectiveness by sharing information gathered.
- Contributes to positive team environment within the department and the Company participating on special and long-term project teams.
- Observes and enforces all Company rules and safety practices.
- Within the knowledge, skill, and/or ability of the individual, performs such other duties as shall be required by management.
- BBA or AA/AS in Business
- 3+ years’ work experience in purchasing
- Strong mathematics skills with bottom line orientation
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Good organizational skills
- PC skills (Spreadsheet and Word processing)
At Essendant Inc., it is our intention to be the fastest and most convenient solution for workplace essentials. To do this, we need exceptionally talented, bright, innovative and driven employees. If you would like to be part of the team that helps unlock the potential of our customer-partners and those they serve, this is your chance to be involved. Essendant Inc. is a leading national wholesale distributor of workplace essentials, with consolidated net sales of $5.3 billion. Essendant stocks a broad assortment of over 160,000 products, including technology products, traditional office products, office furniture, janitorial and breakroom supplies, industrial supplies, and automotive aftermarket tools and equipment.
We offer an exciting and challenging environment that encourages independent thinking, problem solving, and growth. We believe in giving back to our communities as well as others in need. We embrace diversity and believe our employees create a sustainable competitive advantage. We adhere to the high standards of Our Guiding Actions and Our Values.
Role: Buyer- Auto
Apply for this job now.