The Medical Assistant works interdependently with nurses and physicians to provide quality health care by following Evidence based Guidelines administratively and clinically to the patient.
- Greets and escorts patient to exam room and prepares patients for examination.
- Collects patient information and assessment data during the check-in process.
- Vital signs; temperature; pulse, blood pressure; weight and height;
- Performs health screenings (depression, alcohol; tobacco; nutrition & exercise; fall assessment; post-partum depression & illicit drugs)
- Reconciles current medication list
- Verifies allergies
- Obtains family health history
- Obtains patient medical history (surgeries; hospital stays)
- Notifies patients of normal test results via telephone and/or patient portal
- Performs spirometry tests
- Performs nebulizer treatments
- Administers the following injection types: intradermal; Subcutaneous and intramuscular for patients >14 years of age.
- Upon physicians completion of patient’s visit, record the patient within the EMR system as ‘completing’ the visit.
- Reviews and prepares for upcoming appointments to ensure all outstanding issues with patients are addressed (i.e., outstanding labs, DI; tests).
- Obtaining voice messages from ‘pharmacy’ phone. Gather of call information and processing requests and/or routing to the nurse/physician as needed.
- Clean-up and preparation of exam room prior to next patient’s entrance.
- Restocking of exam rooms supplies (medical & maintenance) throughout the day
- Assist clinical staff with the input of lab and DI orders
- Contact patients that are ‘no-shows’ for their visit. Record in patient record.
- Scheduling of routine office visits within the EMR system.
- Contact patients to cancel and/or rescheduling of appointments.
- Contacting third parties for consultation notes.
- Process patient prescriptions as directed by physician.
- Sorts incoming patient documents and forwards to office assistant for scanning.
- Records ‘Circle of Care’ in EMR system for all patients. This consists of patients outside specialists that are involved in their care.
- Sterilizing of all instruments
- End of day cleanup which requires all supplies to be restocked in exam rooms, physician offices and procedure/waiting rooms such as paper towels, cups, gowns, exam table paper; otoscope refills, soap; alcohol; gauze, cotton, bandaids, tongue depressors, pap supplies hemoccults; and thermometers. Straightening of magazines; organize and refold blood pressure cuffs. Desks, countertops and sinks must be cleared of instruments and debris. Full Sharps containers are exchanged for new. All ¾ full biohazard containers are secured and brought to proper area in the basement.
- Follows the policy, procedures, and standing orders set by the practice.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Personal Attributes:
Must have proficient knowledge, skills and abilities in the following areas:
- Graduate of an approved school of Medical Assistant
- Current certification on file.
- 3 + years of proven work experience.
- Ability to work within approved procedures and clinical guidelines
- The ability to communicate effectively with patients, physicians and coworkers in an effective manner.
- Requires critical thinking and problem solving skills.
- Must be a patient focused individual
- Must be able to multi-task.
- The ability to receive constructive criticism
- Skilled in the use of computers.
- Maintains confidentiality of patient information and assure patient rights are protected.
- Must be mature and trustworthy
- Be respectful
- Possess cultural awareness and sensitivity
- Be flexible
- High expectations of self and other team members.
- Demonstrate sound work ethics
Role: Certified Medical Assistant
Location: Oak Lawn,
Apply for this job now.