Under the direction of the provider and as a member of the health care team, assists in coordinating the
examination, treatment and health care planning for patients. Assists with other office functions to support
patient care and office operations. Follows all established protocols, policies, procedures and standardized
· Using the team based approach, assists in the coordination of patient care under supervision of the health
· care provider.
· Prepares and rooms patients within the clinical practice setting according to standardized work flows.
· Accurately obtains patient vital signs, documents patient information, patient history, tobacco, and medication screening.
· May assist in the administration of depression screening tools.
· Completes annual wellness visit screenings.
· Reviews, updates and screens medication list in the EHR. Reviews social history with patient and
updates record. If applicable, pends/''cues up'' orders for required age appropriate screenings, patient
prescriptions, refills, or other orders based on AHN approved protocols.
· Performs back office testing following approved AHN protocols and policies.
· Assists providers with examination and procedures.
· May serve as a scribe with additional training.
· Provides follow up with patients at designated intervals via patient's preferred method (telephone, electronic,
written) in accordance with provider instructions. Notifies patients of test results under the direction of provider in a timely manner.
· Prepares exam room for patient visit. Ensures adequate inventory of medical supplies. Ensures all patient
treatment areas are at all times stocked with the appropriate supplies using established inventory standards.
· Cleans and sterilizes instruments per established AHN approved policy and manufacturer's guidelines.
· Accurately performs lab controls and equipment checks as assigned.
· Administers and accurately documents medications in accordance with policy and safe practice.
· Documents accurately in the electronic health record (EHR) according to established standards and work
· Accurately performs clerical office functions and other duties as assigned.
· Must have good written and verbal communications skills, including the ability to write simple correspondence and effectively present information to customers, clients and other employees.
· May require floating/travel between physician office locations.
· Proof of graduation from a Medical Assistant school within five years of application OR proof of one year of
work experience as a clinical MA in the last three years.
· Newly hired medical assistants must complete certification training and/or attempt testing within 30 days of
hire. Medical assistants must obtain certification within 120 days of hire. Once achieved, Medical assistants
must maintain national certification requirements.
· American Heart Association BCLS certification required.
At Allegheny Health Network, our employees make a significant impact on people’s lives every day. They are a proud and passionate team who work together to provide the highest quality patient care - care that helps people live longer, healthier lives.
Allegheny Health Network (AHN) is a proud member of Highmark Health. Working as an integrated system within Highmark Health, employees at all of AHN’s care sites, including hospitals, Health + Wellness Pavilions, primary and specialty care offices and more, are committed to improving health and promoting wellness in our communities, one person at a time.
Discover a career that makes a true difference in your life and in the lives of others.
Role: Medical Assistant - Digestive Health - Federal North
Apply for this job now.