Concordia University is seeking part-time adjunct faculty in Clinical Teaching for the School of Nursing on the Ann Arbor, Michigan campus. The appointment will run the summer semester, May 24th - August 9th and may be a renewable position. Specific areas of instruction needed: OB at St. Joseph Mercy Health, Promedica Hickman Hospital, and Ascension Macomb; Pediatric at UofM Mott Hospital; Community Clinical at various locations.
Definition of Position: A registered professional nurse who is primarily responsible for the supervision of students in the clinical setting. This contract is renewed on a semester basis.
Specific Responsibilities: Each faculty member is expected to comply with all rules and regulations for University faculty as outlined in the Adjunct Faculty Handbook. In addition, each faculty member has the following responsibilities:
- Contact facility for orientation
- Orient self to Concordia's philosophy and nursing framework used (review Student Handbook, Nursing Faculty Handbook, and clinical instructor binder contents)
- Review policies related to student clinical dress, absenteeism, CPR, TB, etc.
- Orient students to clinical setting
- Plan student assignments in the clinical setting
- Select and evaluate the method of student preparation for clinical assignments
- Review content presented in respective theory course
- Teach content relevant to client's medical and/or nursing needs
- Evaluate student's written or verbal plan of care
- Review student's clinical portfolio
- Assure nursing care of student's client is accomplished in a timely and appropriate fashion
- Arrive at facility 30 minutes prior to actual clinical time for student and adjust to necessary changes.
- Correct assigned clinical projects - i.e. Journals, care plans, management projects, etc.
- Communicate to course faculty and clinical liaison any concerns or questions
- Provide frequent feedback to students including mid-rotation and end-of-rotation conferences
- Recognize the need for remediation and complete a referral if necessary
- Complete written evaluation of each student including recommendations for advancement at the end of each rotation
- Keep ongoing records of student performance in the clinical setting
- Work collaboratively with staff at assigned clinical facility
- Evaluate clinical facility at end of semester and make recommendations
- Complete Clinical Nursing Orientation
- Maintain current knowledge of clinical practice within the area of teaching responsibility
- Maintain knowledge of current teaching methods
- Update curriculum vitae annually
- Participate in professional and community organizations
- Uphold the mission of Concordia University
- Current licensure and registration to practice professional nursing in Michigan
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing degree required, Master of Science degree in Nursing preferred
- Minimum three years of experience as a staff nurse
- Recommendation from current nurse manager
- Previous teaching in a baccalaureate nursing program preferred
- Current knowledge of clinical practice within the area of teaching responsibility required.
- Attendance at all clinical coordination meetings
- Attendance at simulation experiences with clinical group several times during the semester
- Active involvement in a Christian Church
To receive full consideration, all applicants are asked to complete and submit an online employment application through the Concordia University Employment page. To begin, please click the Apply Now section on the job page and then click the Apply For This Position button to begin the application process.
Equal Opportunity Employer
It is the policy of CU to provide equal opportunity to all employees and applicants for employment in accordance with all applicable federal, state, and local laws.
The University will not discriminate against or harass any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, pregnancy, national origin (including ancestry), citizenship status, physical or mental disability, age, marital status, gender, veteran or military status, predisposing genetic characteristics, domestic violence victim status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
However, CU is an institution of the LCMS and, to the extent allowed by law, CU reserves the right to give preference in employment based on religion. In addition, preference in holding certain employment positions is given to ordained or rostered ministers of the LCMS. Based on a religious tenet, CU recognizes only male, LCMS ordained Ministers of the Gospel, but recognizes both male and female LCMS Rostered Ministers of the Gospel.
The Human Resources Department has been appointed to manage the equal employment opportunity program, including all equal employment opportunity activities, as required by federal, state and local agencies. If any employee or applicant for employment believes this policy has been violated, he/she must contact the Director of Human Resources.
Concordia University is a HLC accredited, co-educational, liberal arts school offering more than 72 undergraduate majors, over 35 master's degree programs, and 5 doctoral programs. There are also a variety of accelerated evening and e-learning programs.
Concordia is a Lutheran higher education community committed to helping students develop in mind, body and spirit for service to Christ in the Church and in the world.Job Posted by ApplicantPro