Paula's Choice is Your Right Choice!
Paula's Choice Skincare is a multinational brand that is 25 years strong! Our vision is to empower and enable people around the world with highly effective products and in-depth knowledge to achieve their own definition of beautiful. We question ingredients, follow the facts and stand up for the customer, because we're in this journey together.
How you'll have an impact at Paula's Choice: The Research & Innovation team leads the discovery and development of new innovation and technology, and the creation of skincare development in our internal formulation lab and with external partners.
As the Innovation Scientist, you will help drive new formula development and the discovery of innovation and technology with our contract manufacturers.
If you're an experienced formulator skilled in creative thinking, building relationships, and have a passion for skincare, we would love to hear from you!
Product Development at Paula's Choice is R&D lead and starts with the science and is driven by what is truly safe and effective for skin. You will have a unique opportunity to spearhead new innovation and work on blue sky concepts.
As the Innovation Scientist for Raw Materials Technology, a typical day might include a mix of the following:
- Discovery & Ideation:
- Develop and maintain collaborative partnerships with raw material suppliers, biotech companies and universities to identify innovation, technology, and product concepts.
- Drive the technical development of all new innovation with raw material suppliers, biotech companies and universities to ensure we're routinely seeing new concepts.
- Early identification, evaluation and development of new actives and materials.
- Develop a wide knowledge base of the competitor's patent environment and implement patent strategies to safeguard internal technologies.
- Provide technical assistance in creating marketing sales sheets and product education.
- Assist the Ideation team in finalizing product briefs to ensure the product design requests are technically sound and compatible.
- Facilitate the handoff of product briefs between Ideation and Project Management.
- Create and maintain an ingredient research database.
- Formulate new concepts and product modifications in our internal lab or at an external lab (up to 14 hours per week)
- Development: New Products with blue sky innovation
- Partner with the Project Management team on the formula development:
- Participate in the project kick-off meetings with internal and external teams.
- Evaluate and provide technical direction on prototypes throughout development to ensure aesthetics, effectiveness, target cost, stability, and overall quality.
- Help troubleshoot formula & stability issues.
- Make cost saving and lead-time reducing suggestions.
- Review all preliminary testing on prototypes.
- Review and approve final stability reports.
- Work closely with the Global Regulatory team throughout development to ensure formula compliance.
- Work with Quality to finalize the Product Specifications.
- Other responsibilities as assigned by your manager.
Location: Willing to consider a remote role as long as you have access to a lab in your area up to 14 hours week
Hours: Typical PST business hours, requiring flexibility
Physical requirements: Ability to both sit and handle screen time for long periods of time as well work in the lab
Travel requirements: Up to 30% travel, some international
What you'll bring to the table:
- Bachelor's degree in Chemistry or a related science field or equal work experience
- 10+ years of experience formulating effective skin care products that have resulted in successful launches in a range of formats (creams, lotions, gels, liquids)
- Strong knowledge of personal care ingredients, chemistry, product stability, and manufacturing processes
- Skilled user of the Microsoft Office suite of products.
- A high proficiency in of troubleshooting and problem solving.
- Strong organization and attention to detail
- Outstanding oral and written communication
- Self-sufficient and able to work independently, as well as in team settings.
What can help you really stand out:
- Strong background and knowledge in formula transfer, scaleup, manufacturing, and trouble-shooting stability issues.
- Ability to objectively read and interpret scientific findings.
- Strong understanding of product quality related issues.
- General understanding of global regulatory formula requirements.
- Experience and training with GMP guidelines.
- Working knowledge of Smartsheet
What we offer you:
- A robust benefits package including health, vision, dental, retirement and more
- Flexible spending account, Employee assistance program
- Fitness perks, meditation app membership and more
- Product samples and discounts
- Generous PTO
- Great location - we're in the heart of Seattle's beautiful International District
- Exceptional environment - we work hard and celebrate our accomplishments. You might catch our teams volunteering, at Mariner's games or connecting at happy hours
- Did we mention we're a dog-friendly office?
Paula's Choice is committed to diversity! Our customers come from all walks of life and so do we. We hire great people from a wide variety of backgrounds, not just because it's the right thing to do, but because it makes our company stronger. We hope you agree. If you share our values and our enthusiasm for empowering people to achieve their own definition of beautiful, Paula's Choice could be a wonderful fit for you.
Note: At any time, with or without notice, Paula's Choice reserves the right to add/delete/change the position's requirements.