Hi, we're Oscar. We're hiring an Operations Engineer to join our Insurance Operations team in our New York City office.
Oscar is a technology-driven, consumer-focused health insurance startup founded in 2012 and headquartered in New York City. Our goal is to make health insurance simple, transparent, and human. We need your help to do so.
About the role:
As the Insurance Operations tactical solutions engineering team, Systems and Platforms, we build technical pipelines to automate insurance processes. We also develop new or enhance existing tools and features to be used by Insurance Ops that improve the way they work, and prototyping and integrating with engineering services.
You will develop data and technical solutions with a focus on creating efficiency and scale through technology and automation of Oscar's infrastructure and underlying logic for core insurance functions. You will understand Oscar's infrastructure, underlying logic, and data models, and work on requirements that support our needs. You will Identify opportunities for technology enablement, and apply technical expertise to design, and implementation of solutions to address operational challenges across the core insurance functions.
You will report to the Senior Manager, Insurance Operations.
- You will run the development to production lifecycle for solutions that support operational improvement projects, working to implement and improve efficacy and efficiency of existing operational processes or unlock new capabilities
- You will consult and cross collaborate on iterative problem definition and technical design/scoping to build solutions to improve the efficacy and efficiency of existing operational processes or unlock new capabilities
- You will understand the operations ecosystem, technology and data models and its current strengths, weaknesses, and gaps.
- You will communicate assumptions and technical decisions through design docs, producing and maintaining documentation associated with their domain
- You will develop technical solutions in response to requirements from partners re: new product and market expansions, automated workflows to reduce manual work requirements, new/improved tooling, and data quality/integrity needs
- You will have knowledge of available development tools, infrastructure, frameworks and libraries and when to apply them; sought out by others for technical advice and input
- You will write correct, stable, modular code with some guidance; capable of delivery of production code
- You will understand potential failure scenarios and develop stable systems that are easy to maintain with guidance
- You will contribute to code review and design reviews within their domain
- You will catch, respond to and resolve issues/errors/escalations through investigation to produce insights for short/medium/long-term technology-enabled solutions
- You will partner with the Engineering and Data teams to structure and operationalize the next generation of health insurance operations; prototype and integrate with engineering or data services, pipelines, and models.
- You will support urgent operational needs through on-call rotation and identify and guide resolution of production issues
- A technical bachelor's degree or 4 years commensurate experience
- 3+ years experience in a technical role (QA analyst, PM, operations analyst, finance, consulting, or industrial engineering)
- 3+ years experience in coding (e.g. Python) And database language experience (e.g. SQL)
- Experience in analytics
- An academic and professional background in coding, math, statistics, or data science
- Knowledge management, training, or content development experience
- Experience working in dynamic environments, including startup experience
Life at Oscar:
At Oscar, being an Equal Opportunity Employer means more than upholding discrimination-free hiring practices. It means that we cultivate an environment where people can be their most authentic selves and find both belonging and support. We're on a mission to change health care -- an experience made whole by our unique backgrounds and perspectives.
We encourage our members to care for their whole selves, and we encourage our employees to do the same with comprehensive medical benefits, generous paid-time off, paid parental leave, retirement plans, company social events, stocked kitchens, wellness programs, and volunteer opportunities.
Oscar applicants are considered solely based on their qualifications, without regard to applicant's disability or need for accommodation. Any Oscar applicant who requires reasonable accommodations during the application process should contact the Oscar Benefits Team (#removed#) to make the need for an accommodation known.
Pay Transparency Policy:
Oscar ensures that you won't be discharged or discriminated against based on whether you've inquired about, discussed, or disclosed your pay. Read the full policy here.