Youth Counselor Position(s) - Bronx, NYC and Yonkers Locations
Part-Time - 16-25 Hours/Week
Starting At $12/hr
The Youth Counselor delivers a range of academic, enrichment, recreational, and leadership development programming to participating youth through a Positive Youth Development context that fosters growth and learning, maximizes safety, and instills hope and motivation.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Responsible for the wellbeing of a group of participating youth throughout program hours. Ensures the safety of all participants throughout program implementation.
- Provides academic instruction that supports the school day curriculum of participating youth through curricula focusing on literacy and STEM, including the evidenced-based Afterschool KidzLit and Explorers programs.
- Leads a range of enrichment, recreation, and leadership development programs designed to increase self-esteem and teach important life skills.
- Attends weekly team meetings, training sessions by DYCD and others, parent meetings, and other assigned meetings to market the program and report on outcomes.
- Develops and implements age appropriate activities and programs.
- Documents monthly participation and outcomes; analyzes results and prepares recommendations.
- Participates in initial training, ongoing staff development and supervision.
- Maintains proper safety standards in regards to the health of participants in all programs.
- Ensures that the center is clean and well maintained.
- Other duties as assigned.
EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS:
High School Diploma/GED and at least two years of expertise in direct afterschool program delivery required. College degree or some college preferred. Previous experience working with children and/or young adults is essential. Athletic background preferred, experienced in playing or teaching the fundamentals of youth Athletics including Baseball, Basketball, football, Soccer and other fun youth oriented Athletic Activities. Experience working with low-income population preferred. Must enjoy the challenges involved with working with youth who may present a number of academic and social deficits. Upbeat, engaging personality is desirable. Program hours include afternoons, evenings, weekends, and holidays. Seasonal hours may be subject to change. A clean/valid NYS Drivers License is required.
Powered by JazzHR