MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS AND SKILLS
- Previous supervisory skills in a diverse, fast-paced manufacturing/production environment.
- Excellent mechanical ability and strong analytical skills.
- Demonstrated ability to follow procedure and work from a set of written instructions.
- Ability to work in a plant processing environment for extended periods of time.
- Strong verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills.
- Flexibility required to work successfully on a team.
- Active individual who will be comfortable spending most of the day walking.
- Basic computer skills.
- Good time management and multitasking ability.
- Must speak and understand English; Spanish speaking a plus.
- Regularly required to stand for long periods of time, reach and perform light lifting.
- Willing to work in all environmental conditions; work will continue through the winter and summer.
- Willing to work different shifts (including nights); operations is 24 hours/3 shifts per day.
- Must be able to work in a controlled, noisy and sometimes confined environment that requires eye/ear protection at all times.
Sims Municipal Recycling (SMR) is a division of Sims Metal Management, the world's leading metal and electronics recycling company. SMR receives processes and markets the curbside recyclables collected by the NYC Department of Sanitation throughout the five boroughs. SMR currently has openings for Shift Supervisors at Brooklyn.
Supervise and coordinate activities of workers engaged in operating machines that process (screen, sort, separate and bale) household recyclable materials (metal, glass, and plastic).
- Develop familiarity with and ensure compliance with Safety, Health, Environment & Community (SHEC) company policies and procedures as they pertain to facility operations and equipment usage and operation.
- Observe sorting, equipment operation, processing, and baling operations.
- Assign duties to workers according to production schedules and demonstrate safe, efficient use of equipment. * Inspect machinery and equipment to verify conformance to production standards.
- Prepare time, attendance and production reports. * Ability to delegate and monitor workers in the completion of tasks and schedules.
- Ability to manage personnel (approx. 25 employees) and lead by example.
- Multitask and willingness to learn all areas of operation.
- Must be able to lead process and quality teams on improving workflow and quality.
- Enter production data and other information on the computer.
- Perform special projects upon request.
Sims Metal Management is the world’s leading publicly listed metal recycler, with operations encompassing the buying, processing and selling of ferrous and non-ferrous recycled metals. The metals recycling operations are geographically diverse, with operations in five continents, including the United States, Australia and the United Kingdom, comprising a network of processing facilities, many with deep-water port access, supported by an extensive network of feeder yards from which to source recyclable ferrous and non-ferrous metals.
Role: Shift Supervisor
Apply for this job now.