Who is The Shipyard?
The Shipyard is the home of marketing engineers. Here, the strange bedfellows of data science and creativity live in sin. Data geeks and creative storytellers share white boards, dashboards and storyboards with strategists, artists, developers to help brands solve extraordinary problems. And if youre reading this, then you know were looking to expand our crew.
Am I cut out for this?
Could you be a PM on our team? Do you start meetings or projects by asking everyone in the room, Okay, what are we doing?and then answer the question yourself? Do you end meetings with a clear to-do listthats alphabetized? Do you love making listsjust for the guilty pleasure of checking the items off? Do you maybe even do this in your sleep? If so, youre one of us! Were looking for someone who loves to get things done, can communicate cross departmentally, enjoys solving problems and brings a smile to everyones face. At The Shipyard, our Project Managers are in a position to COLLABORATE with our teams, INSPIRE creative solutions, DRIVE progress, EVOLVE process and LOVE the feeling of getting things accomplished (of course in the most organized and well thought out way possible)!
What You'll Do:
As a Project Manager at The Shipyard, you are a central role in delivering world class work to our clients. We are leaders and supporters. We are project owners and strategic problem solvers. Project Managers achieve internal and client objectives by collaborating with the internal client team members, including Account Strategist, Media, Creative and the Data Analytics teams. This role establishes significant trust and support internally and sometimes externally with the client.
The Project Manager fosters strong partnerships with Account Management and the client team. We communicate and collaborate effectively internally and externally and contribute an essential value to keep projects on track, on budget and up to our standard of excellence. Our role is core to the success of this company and will ensure that we build a future of success for The Shipyard and our clients.
Manage Billable Client Projects to Achieve Budget, Timeline, and Resource Parameters (70%)
- Lead teams through project execution from intake to approval, including:
- Defining and adhering to budgets (estimation of internal/hard costs, weekly project health analysis, project wrap up reports)
- Determining delivery dates (timeline development and ongoing management)
- Assigning and managing resource allocations (resource plans, deliverable tracking, internal review coordination, internal status/stand ups management, project bookings for capacity planning)
- Developing project plans (project tracker, external status and hours reports)
- Coordinate contractors and vendors supplementing internal resources for assigned projects
- Ensure resource (internal and external) proper time tracking for all projects for accurate profit management
- Define the how and when and communicate throughout the internal team
- Manage multiple complex projects with multiple stakeholders and clients in a fast-paced environment simultaneously
- Be a strong presenter of process, project health (budget, resources, and timelines), and project plans to internal teams and clients
- Manage and coordinate work assignments, ensuring work is appropriately assigned and completed within expected time frames with a focus on quality
- Responsible for developing and maintaining a strong two-way communication channel between our project teams, stakeholders, and leadership. This includes internal and external/client communication and collaboration
- Serve as the primary contact for a project team and may serve as the subject matter expert for the cross functional projects
- Report project status and ensure leadership is aware of project direction, challenges and required decisions or guidance
- Communicate effectively with internal creative, data, media, development, and strategy resources and have the ability to consistently learn and evolve in a digital environment
- Demonstrate leadership
- Coach, mentor, motivate and supervise project and program teams
- Contribute to personal and professional development of team members: motivate, grow, coach, and mentor, providing leadership by example
- Lead, mentor and train junior level project managers to grow and improve the PM team at The Shipyard, as applicable
- Lead Project Management internal coordination, including project health status updates/meetings, capacity planning inputs/Openair adherence.
- Serve as resource and mentor to peers on the Project Management team
- Coordinate cross-office execution for consistency across the Project Management team
Support New Business Initiatives Through Estimates and Project Planning (10%)
- Develop a project plan for completion of RFP responses and proposals for new business to ensure completion is on time and in line with requirements
- Lead internal team on proposal execution in accordance with the project plan
- Contribute to proposal details, including defining:
- Project budget parameters
- Resource parameters
- Execution parameters (in collaboration with Account Manager representative)
- Timeline parameters
Internal Operational Improvements (20%)
- Ensure personal development of team members: motivate, grow, coach, and mentor. Providing leadership by example
- Leverage and lead tools and technology to provide project visibility and manage tasks and statues across each project
- Build relationships across the company and evangelize the Project Management discipline
- Have the strong desire to learn and continue to grow your experience as a Project Manager
- Be a process driver to ensure company operations and processes are followed, encouraging consistency and efficiency in our work (including but not limited to project management tool, financial tracking tool, project tracking, server/archive structure, etc.)
- Champion Openair and other resource/tool implementations cross-office and throughout all agency departments
What You'll Bring:
- Bachelors degree or equivalent experience preferred
- Experience in a Project Management role
- Strong knowledge of project management principles and methodologies, or immediate desire to learn these methodologies
- Demonstrated ability to organize and lead the efforts of a team of designers, developers, data scientists, media planners, media executors, and strategists and business stakeholders
- Proficient in Microsoft Office products (Word, Excel, Project, Powerpoint).
- Experience with project management tools such as Basecamp, Wrike, JIRA, etc.
- Experience in capacity planning/financial tracking tools such as Netsuite, Openair, etc.
- Strong critical thinking, problem solving and analytical skills
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to interact professionally with all levels of the organization
- Must be detailed oriented and have proven ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Demonstrated initiative and follow-through and a great record of delivering successful projects
- Strong customer service skills
- Ability to lead projects with teams and stakeholders across locations
What You'll Get:
- Open PTO
- Paid holidays
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- 401k program with employer matching
- Paid parental leave
- Employee bonus referrals
- Dog-friendly offices
- Company-provided snacks and beverages (yes, beer/wine included)
- and lots more!