COMPANY: UNIVERSITIES SUPERANNUATION SCHEME LIMITED
JOB TYPE: Permanent, FullTime
The team is heavily involved in the practical implementation of such initiatives within USSIM, working with the key business units and ExCo on an ongoing basis.
For the DB section, this principally involves:
- Investment policies: to advise on policy statements as required by the Trustee Board and/or the Investment Committee (e.g. the annual approvals in the DB Instruction Letter).
- Investment risk management: to advise on matters of investment risk policy (e.g. the Matching Assets Programme and the Illiquidity Framework)
- To provide advice relating to the composition (and journey plan) of the DB Reference Portfolio, together with advice relating to its return objective, risk tolerance and risk limits.
For the DC section, this principally involves:
- Investment policies: to advise on policy statements as required by the Trustee Board and/or the Investment Committee
- Investment risk management: to advise on matters of investment risk policy (e.g. the annual review and approvals of the DC Reference Portfolios and Self-Select Options)
- DC glide paths: to provide advice in respect of the design of the glide paths for each of the Default Lifestyle and the Ethical Lifestyle.
The role supports the wider ISA function, USSIM CEO, the USSIM Asset Allocation Committee and Trustee Investment Committee in their decision-making process.
- Supporting the preparation of committee papers for the relevant boards (e.g. Investment Committee and/or USSIM Board)
- Portfolio construction and long-term strategic asset allocation (across DB and DC)
- Asset & Liability Management (ALM)
- Quantitative, analytical modelling across both DB and DC
- Providing support to the team in valuation-related workstreams.
- Assisting the wider Solutions and ISA function on the ongoing Quality Assurance requirements.
- Being a team player – working within ISA and with other internal teams
- Being responsible for asset inventory and model compliance for all the internally developed models used by ISA
- Ensures all process documents are up to date for the most efficient use of resources
- Operates a quality assurance process to ensure consistency and accuracy across the Strategic Advice team
- Remains abreast of wider initiatives, particularly among Funding Strategy, CEO and PAIR functions
- Contributing to team discussions and project development, inputting on issues regarding the scheme structure, direction and the integration of wider initiatives.
- A great attitude – proactive and enthusiastic
- Attention to detail
- Previous experience in an investment role
- Familiarity with UK defined benefit pension topics
- Ability to communicate effectively in both written papers and oral presentations
- Familiarity with quantitative methods (statistics, econometrics, etc.)
- Intellectual curiosity – willingness and ability to investigate and develop new ideas
- Proficient at prioritisation, project organisation, and management of multiple workstream
- Undergraduate qualification with economics and finance content and/or progress towards post-graduate investment/actuarial qualification (e.g. CFA, FIA)
- Good understanding of institutional asset classes (including LDI, equities, credit and private markets)
- Good understanding of macroeconomics and investment theory
- IT and programming skills (e.g. Excel, VBA and Python)