Mission of Portsmouth Community Health Center, d/b/a Hampton Roads Community Health Center as defined by the Board of Directors:
Hampton Roads Community Health Center is a not-for-profit comprehensive primary health care organization dedicated to providing quality and affordable health services in a safe environment to our communities.
General Description of the Position: Under the general supervision of the Patient Services Manager and the immediate supervision of the Referrals Supervisor, the Referral Coordinator works as part of the Patient Care Team and assists the Providers and nurses in the provision of primary healthcare and performs responsible functions related to the coordination of patient referrals to outside providers and specialists.
Prerequisites of Position:
Requires at least one year prior experience with medical office referral procedures and understanding of insurance requirement, or any equivalent combination of education and experience. Must be computer proficient at an advanced level, preferably with Windows based programs, and detailed oriented.
Essential Functions against which position incumbent will be evaluated:
- Retrieves data from Electronic Health Records, verbal/written instructions from Providers, and/or telephone messages regarding patient appointments, referrals, and pre-authorizations.
- Contacts applicable provider and/or specialist medical facilities to schedule necessary appointments for HRCHC patients, as requested by HRCHC medical providers. Communicates to the specialist the clinical reason, urgency and general purpose for the consult (ie. consultative, transfer of care, co-management), as well as, provides key clinical information: specified view office visit notes, problem list, allergies, med list, lab, procedure and test results, etc.
- Informs patients of their scheduled appointments and follows up as necessary.
- Checks with Physicians after referral appointments to verify patient kept appointment and to list any future visits.
- Tracks the status of referrals by maintaining the Order Tracking Log. Tracks the expected time for return receipt of specialist reports.
- Refers patients who have not kept their referral appointment past 90 days back to the referring physician for review.
- Enters referral data into the patient’s chart when appointments are made. (i.e. appointment date, time, and name of specialist).
- Completes required records for patient referral tracking.
- Communicates with patients and visitors in a courteous and professional manner, addresses questions and needs with sensitivity to patient confidentiality, cultural diversity, and individualized requirements for assistance.
- Communicates with other clinical staff, including providers and nurses, to carry out the patient needs in regards to referrals.
- Communicates information via mail, telephone, and/or computer messaging to physician’s offices and patients.
- Obtains all required prior authorizations for referrals.
- Transmits patient data via fax, telephone, mail, and/or computer messaging as requested by patients to outside financial screening and coding departments for outside indigent care programs.
- Takes initiative and accepts accountability as a patient advocate and promotes Patient Satisfaction.
- May assist patients with lab referrals by explaining whether there are any options available when patients choose not to pay lab fees.
- May be required to travel to meetings, other physician practices, or asked to work at different HRCHC offices as needed.
- When necessary, may be required to work weekends and/or evenings as needed to complete referral related tasks.
- Work as part of the Patient Centered Medical Home team, attend meetings/trainings, and complete referral related tasks for maintenance of PCHC’s PCMH designation.
- Delegate appropriate clerical and administrative duties to the Referral Coordinator Assistant to ensure prompt referral turnover.
- May be asked to assist in other departments as needed.
- Willingly accepts other assigned responsibilities/projects in support of the PCHC Inc. mission.
Administrative and/or Clinical Competencies:
Requires the ability to utilize initiative and function independently while demonstrating excellent interpersonal communication skills. The ability to focus on detailed paperwork is a mandatory for this position.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $11.00 to $13.00 /hour
Hampton Roads Health Center is a not-for-profit multi-group outpatient health care practice serving thousands of patients in the South Hampton Roads area.Since establishment in 1995, we have expanded our services to include five (5) clinical sites. As a growing organization, we have over 90 employees, which includes nine medical providers, five dentist, two hygienists, Behavior Health Director and a LCSW. The health center relies on federal grants, public funding, insurance reimbursement and community donations to support providing the quality services necessary for all individuals to have access to affordable patient centered health care services.
Role: Referral Coordinator
Apply for this job now.