Head of Commercial Property
Location: Derby or Birmingham
Sitting as one of the standout practices in the Midlands, our Commercial Property department advises investors, housebuilders, landowners, developers, property management companies, educational establishments, charities and care service providers on all areas of the real estate market.
With a total of 16 solicitors and legal experts spanning both our Derby and Birmingham offices, the department has also built up a national reputation for dealing with site acquisitions, planning issues, portfolio management and commercial and residential developments.
Highly regarded for its experience in development schemes relating to the out-of-town retail, residential and waste management sectors, the team has been fortunate enough to work on some of the largest and most exciting development projects throughout the UK, including the £100m development of a distribution centre and the £35m acquisition and development of a major mixed-use out-of-town retail scheme.
A record number of five partners have been recommended in The Legal 500 for 2022 within our Commercial Property team.
The practice also has extensive experience in advising agricultural businesses and farming families on issues regarding interests in land and the wider rural economy.
The Head of Commercial Property will handle a senior level caseload of varied property matters and have responsibility for the overall management of the department.
This role reports directly to the Chief Executive Officer.
- Run own senior-level caseload of property matters to include: commercial and residential development, landlord and tenant advice, site acquisitions, funding arrangements and agreements, joint ventures and options & commercial leases.
- Manage and supervise the day-to-day work running of the Commercial Property department.
- Work closely with the Partners within the team on departmental matters, ensuring a cohesive approach.
- Ensure financial targets are met within the department, both on a personal and team level.
- Work with the CEO and Partners on financial structures for the department, this includes pricing models and team budgets.
- Report key management information as required.
- Assist fee-earners with their own caseload; offering support and guidance where needed.
- Run file reviews of fee-earners where required, raise any issues arising and use this as an ongoing developmental tool.
- Work with fee-earners to understand necessary processes, SLAs and wider expectations.
- Program and update relevant IT systems, ensuring this is used appropriately by each team member.
- Liaise directly with agents and clients where necessary and be their key point of contact.
- Maintain a focus on client care and understand how this can be improved within the department.
- Liaise with key stakeholders in the firm as required – this may include the management board, Compliance Manager, etc.
- Setting & presenting annual strategic plan for the Commercial Property department – work closely with the CEO & COO to construct team targets in relation to fees, time recording & business development.
- Assist with annual budget review process.
- Hold a monthly departmental meeting to report on team performance – follow up with one-to-ones as and when required.
- Attend quarterly HOD meetings to represent the Commercial Property department.
- Attend monthly one-to-ones with the CEO & COO – report on departmental priorities and financial performance.
- Provide supervision of matters for more junior fee-earners, sign off work as and when required.
- Oversee the Personal Development Plans for each team member, ensure individual goals are met throughout the year through mentoring and technical guidance.
- Ensure appropriate allocation of fee-earning matters within the team – regularly assess capacity of fee-earners and delegate work effectively.
- Proactively drive performance of the team – achieve continued financial growth YOY.
- Assist with the recruitment process for vacancies – including proactive headhunting and drafting job specifications/adverts.
- Conduct interviews with the HR Manager for all candidates.
- Work alongside the Business Development team to ensure there is a cohesive and proactive strategy to managing current & prospective clients.
- Take an active lead in managing the client experience. Attend client meetings where necessary.
- Prepare and conduct external training sessions on Commercial law for prospective & existing clients.
- Report regularly on business development figures to CEO.
- Be at Partner or Head of Department level currently.
- Have extensive experience in a breadth of property matters.
- Have experience in supervising work and be able to effectively delegate to team members.
- Be able to evidence billing figures that meet or exceed existing targets.
- Have a keen interest in leadership and business development.
Disclosure will be required in the event that a position is offered.