COMPANY: MATURE ACCOUNTANTS LIMITED
JOB TYPE: Permanent, FullTime
Our client operates a small group of independent junior schools in London. The schools provide an excellent and rounded education for boys and girls aged 4-11. Pupils typically leave the group’s schools to continue their education at some of the leading independent senior schools.
The group of schools now seeks a qualified accountant to join the senior leadership team, reporting into the CEO alongside the Heads of the group’s schools.
The head offices of the group where this role is based are in central / west London, and comprise a small but happy team. This role will require occasional travel to the individual schools but travel costs for any such trips will be reimbursed as appropriate. This role will also, on occasions, require attendance at meetings which may be scheduled outside of normal working hours (eg occasionally an evening meeting with the volunteer Governors).
The group is profitable and has been well managed financially in recent years to make sure that costs are controlled and managed accordingly.
- This Bursar and Clerk role is effectively a “Deputy CEO” or COO role, reporting into the CEO of the group as line manager, but also reporting to the Chair of Governors as a dotted reporting line for the element of the role that relates to the “Clerk to the Governors”.
- The Bursar will be a senior leader in a close knit community with many different stakeholders, responsible most importantly for the financial health of the group including the core “bread and butter” of a senior financial leadership role transaction reporting, financial control, KPIs and management information, budgeting and forecasting, financial statements and liaison with auditors, banks and colleagues.
- The roleholder will also play a key support role to the recently appointed CEO of the group, across the entire business of the schools and the group. Thus may include (subject to discussion and agreeemnt with the CEO) responsibility for finance, banking and treasury, facilities, health & safety, ICT and data administration, disaster recovery, insurance, regulatory compliance and data protection.
- This will include direct line management of the Sites / Estates supervisor and the assistant accountant, as well as the management of an external outsourced IT support company.
- This role is permanent and likely to be full time, although there is potential flexibility for less than full time and working from home.
- Professional accountancy qualification (ACA, CIMA, ACCA or equivalent)
- Affinity with the world and business of schools and education
- Prior senior leadership experience in a hands on role within a SME environment
- Familiarity with SAGE (preferred), or other packages
- Strong skills in Excel and other MS requirements
- Proven experience of cost management and control
- Proven experience of managing a complete financial function and reporting directly into a CEO or Managing Director equivalent Proven ability to “manage up” diplomatically but firmly, to a diverse range of stakeholders diplomatically
- Strong desire to both immerse in the details of a hands on role and step back to advise on longer term strategy and the “big picture” view.
- Proven responsibility and management of core financial skills and processes, including budgeting and forecasting, management reporting, internal controls environments and financial statements and tax.