Company: SMITHCO MANUFACTURING
Job Type: Permanent, FullTime
The Welder is responsible for welding on all types of materials, components, and products.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Setup, adjust, and operate semi-automatic welding equipment (i.e. bug-o, sub-arc) in accordance with the proper Welding Procedure Specification (WPS) in an efficient manner.
- Ensure welding is being done such that welds are capable of passing SmithCo requirements.
- Verify welding and material is in accordance with drawings, standards, and specifications.
- Perform pre-heat and post-heat operations.
- Perform all types of gouging operations.
- Clean up welds by grinding, buffing, and/or other means to provide an acceptable surface condition.
- Assist and train other welders, as required.
- Report abnormal conditions of equipment to Foreman.
- Work in a safe and secure manner and comply with the safety rules and procedures.
- Perform small repairs and preventative maintenance on the welding equipment.
- Assist in placing and removing pieces, components, and products to/from the welding area.
- Operate jib cranes, forklifts, and other mobile equipment for the moving of material, components, and equipment from location to location within the plant. Occasionally operate overhead cranes in support of small moves to continue production within the department.
- Perform general laborer duties as required (i.e. grinding, loading and unloading of trucks).
- Keep working area clean and perform housekeeping duties around the plant as required (i.e. pickup tools, roll-up hoses and cables, sweep).
- Performs other related duties as assigned by management.
This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
- Associate's Degree (AA) or equivalent from a two-year college or technical school, or six months to one-year related experience and/or training, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Capable of reading and understanding Engineering drawings, documents, weld symbols, and WPS's.
- Working knowledge of different types of cutting equipment.
- Adaptability - Adapts to changes in the work environment; Manages competing demands; Changes approach or method to best fit the situation; Able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
- Adherence to Company Polices - Follows rules and sets a good example by consistently adhering to appropriate work guidelines; follows organizational plans and guidelines so that objectives can be accomplished.
- Dependability - Follows instructions, responds to management direction; Takes responsibility for own actions; Keeps commitments; Commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals; Completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan.
- Initiative - Volunteers readily; Undertakes self-development activities; Seeks increased responsibilities; Takes independent actions and calculated risks; Looks for and takes advantage of opportunities; Asks for and offers help when needed.
- Innovation - Displays original thinking and creativity; Meets challenges with resourcefulness; Generates suggestions for improving work; Develops innovative approaches and ideas; Presents ideas and information in a manner that gets others' attention.
- Job Knowledge - Demonstrates a basic understanding off all job knowledge skills, procedures and processes; knows resources to seek guidance for clarification as needed.
- Productivity - Manages workload efficiently to meet goals & objectives
- Quality - Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Applies feedback to improve performance; Monitors own work to ensure quality.
- Safety and Security - Observes safety and security procedures; Determines appropriate action beyond guidelines; Reports potentially unsafe conditions; Uses equipment and materials properly.
- Teamwork - Balances team and individual responsibilities; Exhibits objectivity and openness to others' views; Gives and welcomes feedback; Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Puts success of team above own interests; Able to build morale and group commitments to goals and objectives; Supports everyone's efforts to succeed.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT:
- Continually required to stand.
- Occasionally required to walk.
- Continually required to utilize hand and finger dexterity.
- Occasionally required to climb, balance, bend, stoop, kneel or crawl.
- Frequently required to talk or hear.
- Occasionally work near moving mechanical parts.
- Frequently work around fumes, airborne particles, or toxic chemicals.
- While performing the duties of this job, the noise level in the work environment is usually loud.
- The employee must regularly lift and /or move up to 25 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move up to 75 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include: Color vision; Peripheral vision; Depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
- Must be able to stand and balance regularly.
- Specialized equipment, machines, or vehicles used: forklift.
POSITION TYPE/EXPECTED HOURS OF WORK:
- This is a full-time position.
- Days and hours of work are Monday through Thursday 6:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Fridays 6:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. and Saturdays as needed from 6:00 a.m. to noon.
Travel not required.