Do you love working on home renovations? Do you want to be involved with a wide variety of construction management tasks? Big Dog Construction Services is on track for over 200% growth as a commercial and residential general contractor! This position is key to keeping our great reputation by coordinating construction projects of varying size and complexity. Join us at this time of great opportunity as our company rapidly grows and expands!
Please see the Requirements section below and do not apply unless you meet ALL of the minimum basic requirements.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Estimating duties include meeting with RESIDENTIAL clients and developing scope, schedule and pricing for their projects. Project Management duties include the planning, implementation, and tracking of a specific RESIDENTIAL project which has a beginning, an end and specified deliverables.
The Residential Construction Estimator/Project Manager performs a wide range of duties including some or all of the following. This job is primarily focused on RESIDENTIAL construction; however, some crossover with our commercial projects may be requested.
- Meet with clients to discuss their RESIDENTIAL projects and scope.
- Record and share with other team members client notes and photos using appropriate software or tools.
Initial Proposal Preparation
- Discuss with senior management the proposed delivery method (T&M, cost plus, design build, etc.) and detail level (ballpark, detailed bid, etc.) appropriate for pricing this job.
- Develop preliminary pricing on the project, if required, using appropriate software and tools.
- Provide written scope of inclusions and exclusions to be used in submitting proposal.
Bid Management and Preparation
- Define scope by studying plans, doing quantity takeoffs, and speaking with owner or architect as required.
- Develop list of required bid categories as well as list of potential bidders for each, which are reviewed with senior management before being contacted.
- Schedule and manage site visit(s).
- Set up shared online files for plans along with a document log to ensure that all project information is appropriately tracked, documented and secured.
- Prepare and send out bid packages including any required specifications to qualified subcontractors, follow up with bidders.
- Resolve cost discrepancies by collecting and analyzing information.
- Obtain bids from vendors and subcontractors, analyze/compare pricing and get clarification where required. Negotiate on price when appropriate.
- Prepare construction budget by studying plans, keeping track of specifications, and identifying and projecting costs for each cost component.
- Continually seeks to expand sub/vendor base. Input names of any or prospective new subcontractor into vendor list.
- Aid senior management in developing a standard scope of work library for typical bid packages.
- Collaborate with team to take joint responsibility for maintaining and updating proposal cost catalog.
- Utilize BDCSI’s forms, procedures, software and tools to create budget proposal.
- Prepare preliminary schedule, if requested by senior management.
Plan the project
- Define the scope of the project in collaboration with senior management.
- Create a detailed work plan which identifies and sequences the activities needed to successfully complete the project.
- Determine the resources (time, money, equipment, etc.) required to complete the project.
- Develop a schedule for project completion that effectively allocates the resources to the activities.
- Review the project schedule with senior management and all other staff that will be affected by the project activities; revise the schedule as required.
- Determine the objectives and measures upon which the project will be evaluated at its completion.
Implement the project
- Execute the project according to the project plan.
- Manage subs, BDCSI or temp labor according to the established policies and practices of the organization, including safety procedures, clean up, billing cycles, keys/lock boxes, etc.
- Track, prepare for and schedule inspections. Speak with plan reviewers or inspectors as required. Be onsite for inspections as needed.
- Assure appropriate quality by clearly communicating expectations for quality through written instructions, mock-ups, etc. as deemed appropriate.
- Ensure that all project personnel receive an appropriate orientation to the organization and the project.
- Utilize BDCSI’s forms, procedures, software and tools to manage and document project activities.
- Set up shared online files to ensure that all project information is appropriately documented and secured.
- Monitor the progress of the project and make adjustments as necessary to ensure the successful completion of the project.
- Establish and implement a communication schedule to update stakeholders including client, team members, subs or others on the progress of the project. Utilize a combination of appropriate methods – email, phone, text, etc.
- Control quality and compliance with project standards by regularly reviewing the quality of the work completed with the project team.
Control the project
- Create logs at least once every other day (ideally daily) for each current project, including photos.
- Document and communicate actions, concerns, irregularities, and continuing needs as appropriate.
- Monitor and approve all budgeted project expenditures; however final approval rests with BDCSI management.
- Create change orders (additional cost to client or variance only) as required.
- Receive and approve invoices from subs as appropriate then forward to Dave with copy to Rhonda.
- Monitor budget and advise senior management of any anticipated variances or concerns.
Evaluate the project
- Ensure that the project deliverables are on time, within budget and at the required level of quality.
- Evaluate the outcomes of the project as established during the planning phase.
Please do not apply for this position unless you have EXPERIENCE in ALL of the following:
- Estimating residential projects, ideally everything from kitchen and bath remodels to additions and new construction
- Managing residential projects
- Multi-year recent experience in the south Florida residential market.
- Permitting in south Florida.
- Inspections in south Florida.
General Roles and Responsibilities
- Prepares work to be accomplished by gathering information and requirements; setting priorities.
- Prepares special reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing information and trends.
- Maintains quality service by following organization standards.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; participating in professional societies.
- Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed.
Proficiency in the use of computers for:
- Word processing
- Simple accounting
- Quantity takeoffs
- Estimating and budgeting
- Project management/Gantt chart scheduling
- Smart phone usage
- Procore software, preferred
- Commitment to Client Service: Understand client concerns or project issues, how they relate to the client and commit to working to solve the issues.
- Behave Ethically: Understand ethical behavior and business practices, and ensure that own behavior and the behavior of others is consistent with these standards and aligns with the values of the organization.
- Communicate Effectively: Speak, listen and write in a clear, thorough and timely manner using appropriate and effective communication tools and techniques.
- Creativity/Innovation: Develop new and unique ways to improve operations of the organization and to create new opportunities.
- Foster Teamwork: Work cooperatively and effectively with others to set goals, resolve problem, and make decisions that enhance organizational effectiveness.
- Lead: Positively influence others to achieve results that are in the best interest of the organization. Foster and demonstrate strong sense of urgency as required.
- Make Decisions: Assess situations to determine the importance, urgency and risks, and make clear decisions which are timely and in the best interests of the organization.
- Organize: Set priorities, develop a work schedule, monitor progress towards goals, and track details/data/information/activities.
- Plan: Determine strategies to move the organization forward, set goals, create and implement actions plans, and evaluate the process and results.
- Solve Problems: Assess problem situations to identify causes, gather and process relevant information, generate possible solutions, and make recommendations and/or resolve the problem.
Big Dog Construction Services is a rapidly growing family-owned business that is built on our reputation and the core values that inspire us. We offer both commercial and residential construction services. Our office is located in Coconut Creek where you will enjoy love from our two office dogs as well as access to the snack drawer!
Role: Residential Construction Project Manager & Estimator
Location: Fort Lauderdale,
Apply for this job now.