MAIN PURPOSES OF THIS JOB
The Bioindustry Association (BIA) is looking for a new Programme Manager, who will research the market, help to formulate the intellectual content of events and conferences, construct cutting edge agendas and recruit speakers in order to ensure that BIA events continue to lead the biotechnology sector in thought and policy leadership; and that our content and expertise is showcased more widely where relevant in the form of a BIA presence or panels at external conferences and events.
This role also incorporates providing leadership for the BIA PULSE programme - working with other key BIA staff to take forward the BIA's strategic aim of developing the next generation of biotechnology entrepreneurs: assisting emerging companies in connecting with/integrating into the BIA community to grow and learn, and ensuring that the membership embraces new talent.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Project manage the successful delivery of event programmes including:
- Research market and themes: assess relevance and feasibility
- Formulate intellectual content of events and develop agendas
- Liaise with and secure high-level speakers
- Deliver event and PULSE programmes on time and on budget
- Write clear, accurate, creative and informative copy for websites and brochures
- Work with membership and events marketing to plan events and ensure relevant attendees are identified and targeted
- Assist with identification and securing of sponsorship opportunities for events
- Attend events to lead/oversee running of event content and develop contacts in order to improve future events
- Monitor and attend sector events to ensure BIA events are market leaders, including networking with potential speakers and sponsors
- Establish and work with expert advisory boards and policy/communications staff to generate and facilitate quality event and programme ideas
- Work with events team to establish strong feedback loops with members and event attendees to improve future events
- Work closely with Director, BDMS and the events team to develop the annual programme of events in line with revenue and strategic organisational targets
- Brief CEO and BIA staff in a timely manner prior to events
- Lead on the BIA PULSE programme at the Crick: co-ordinate with the Crick personnel, and liaise with speakers; organise promotion and manage relevant BIA resources to develop marketing, staff the event/s and organise logistics, communicate success
- Source thought leadership to drive integration of PULSE graduates into the BIA community - through events content, membership development etc.
- Work with BDMS Director and CEO to develop the PULSE concept and research/implement sustainable growth of the programme - be that with the Crick or with other relevant organisations
- Be an advocate within the networks that will enable the BIA to become closer to the biotechnology spinout community, to provide support and a 'ready community' to emerging companies, and in turn work with Membership and BD Manager to ensure that the BIA is bringing on board the innovative organisations and individuals that it needs in order to grow and thrive.
- Assist the rest of the events team with planning and logistics at their busiest times as and when required
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Excellent academic credentials - preferably science-based
- Excellent research skills
- Ability to build a rapport with high level contacts - in industry (C-level), academia and government
- Ability to generate content and original ideas
- Good copy writing skills
- Strong editorial skills and an awareness of editorial independence
- Excellent team working and communication skills
- At least 2 years of experience in an events production, research, policy or editorial/publishing role - preferably within science / pharma
- Experience of working in an Not-For-Profit or membership organisation would be advantageous
Please apply with CV and covering letter by 5pm Thursday July 4th 2019 to Riana Potamitis, Operations Executive, BIA, via the button below.
ABOUT THE BIA
Established over 25 years ago at the infancy of biotechnology, the BioIndustry Association (BIA) is the trade association for innovative life sciences in the UK. Our goal is to secure the UK's position as a global hub and as the best location for innovative research and commercialisation, enabling our world-leading research base to deliver healthcare solutions that can truly make a difference to people's lives.
Our members include:
- Start-ups, biotechnology and innovative life science companies
- Pharmaceutical and technological companies
- Universities, research centres, tech transfer offices, incubators and accelerators
- A wide range of life science service providers: investors, lawyers, IP consultants, IR agencies
Role: Programme Manager
Job Type: Permanent
Apply for this job now.