Company: LEGAL AID BUREAU
Job Type: Permanent, FullTime
A RESUME AND COVER LETTER ARE REQUIRED TO APPLY FOR THIS POSITION
Maryland Legal Aid (MLA) provides life-changing civil legal assistance to eligible residents in every part of the State. Since 1911, MLA has provided high-quality legal services to low-income, and marginalized individuals and communities-helping them remedy their civil legal issues and become empowered to overcome challenges, achieve stability and independence, and an overall better life.
MLA is dedicated to preserving the basic human needs and basic human rights of clients, particularly as they navigate the justice system. MLA staff, pro bono attorneys, community partners, and general supporters all play important roles in ensuring that the legal playing field is leveled so that those most in need achieve equal access to justice. It is because of this diverse support that MLA is able to be a voice to tens of thousands of economically disadvantaged and vulnerable Marylanders every year,
The law clerk will assist with representing low-income individuals and will have direct client contact by assisting with intake and following a case to its conclusion. The law clerk will also assist with efforts to improve affordable housing options for low-income individuals, including reviewing plans of various local housing authorities and subsidized housing communities and monitoring community development efforts. The law clerk may also assist with updating lead paint manual and other research as needed. Tasks assigned to law clerks may include, but are not limited to, the following:
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Screen clients for eligibility.
- Conduct preliminary and subsequent interviews with clients.
- Schedule appointments and meetings.
- Conduct factual investigations and analysis and legal research.
- Under the supervision of staff attorneys, supervising attorneys, and/or chief attorneys, prepare documents and correspondence, including complaints, answers, memoranda of law, briefs, articles, and reports.
- Assist in or develop case theories and strategies for the representation of clients.
- Participate in hearings, trials, and conferences.
- Perform other duties, as assigned within the scope of the essential functions of the position.
Must have basic written and oral communications skills and must demonstrate potential to perform duties of a law clerk.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER