Seeking a creative, self-motivated Senior Mechanical Design Engineer.
This position offers an exciting opportunity to head the design of specialty equipment with capacities ranging 500 to 250,000+ lb. Will be responsible for the design and project management of complex equipment. Involved with all product stages from initial application specifications and budget estimation, to design and development, to manufacturing, through final testing and commissioning.
They will assist in developing technical specifications and budgetary cost estimates for new products. They will work with vendors and material suppliers to specify the best and most cost effective components and materials for use in equipment. They will develop innovative ideas to solve difficult problems and integrate existing designs and components into new equipment.
Must be able to effectively communicate design requirements to fellow engineers, drafters, and manufacturing. They must be capable of learning on the job and working solo or in a team. Good project management and organizational skills are a must.
- Create mechanical drawings in accordance with ASME Y14 standards.
- Specify welds and non-destructive examination methods.
- Generate and maintain bills of material on engineering drawings.
- Assign drawing numbers and descriptions in accordance with company standards.
- Effectively communicate all above requirements to drafters.
Mechanical Design and Engineering
- Read, interpret, and apply company and national safety standards to ensure compliance.
- Identify and select materials and components needed for equipment.
- Perform finite element analysis (FEA) on parts and systems utilizing SolidWorks simulation.
- Apply knowledge of manufacturing techniques to design readily manufacturable parts and systems.
- Research and analyze customer design requirements and specifications to evaluate feasibility and costs.
- Contribute to design standards and support design reuse.
- Travel to customer facilities to evaluate system requirements. (Travel will usually be less than 2 weeks per year.)
- Solicit feedback from manufacturing and clients to improve upon the manufacturability, maintainability, functionality, reliability, and ergonomics of equipment.
- Investigate equipment failures to diagnose root cause and make recommendations for repairs.
Fluid Power Systems Design and Drawings
- Analyze and design fluid power systems, select components, and instruct others in their operations and maintenance.
- Perform calculations to determine component requirements.
- Calculate and specify line sizes based on flow rate and pressure requirements.
- Understand basic electrical controls for seamless systems integration.
- Analyze and troubleshoot hydraulic systems and assist manufacturing or customer service in determining corrective actions.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering or similar discipline preferred.
- 5+ years of experience in a relevant field.
- Experience in the design of heavy mobile equipment and mobile fluid power design is preferred. Design of large scale, multifaceted machinery which integrates mechanical and hydraulic systems will also be considered.
Role: Senior Mechanical Design Engineer
Apply for this job now.