Company: HELEN KELLER SERVICES
Job Type: Permanent, FullTime
The Mission of the Helen Keller National Center for Deaf-Blind Youths and Adults is to enable each person who is DeafBlind to live and work in his or her community of choice. Authorized by an Act of Congress in 1967, HKNC is the only organization of its kind—providing training and resources exclusively to people age 16 and over who have combined vision and hearing loss. Students travel from across the country to our headquarters in Sands Point, New York, for on-campus training in assistive technology, vocational services, orientation and mobility, communication and independent living, and our regional offices bring HKNC resources to communities throughout the United States. Employment at HKNC is a "one-of-a-kind" experience and at HKNC, we seek employees who have a strong work ethic, strive for excellence, enjoy a challenge, and are highly motivated and creative.
We currently have an exciting career opportunity available to join the HKNC team as the SSP/Volunteer Coordinator in Sands Point, NY. The SSP/Volunteer Coordinator coordinates the Support Service Provider (SSP) and volunteer programs and fosters community partnerships for program recruitment.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Schedules and coordinates SSPs and volunteers:
- matches consumers and HKNC staff with SSPs and consumers with volunteers using criteria of communication and interpersonal skills as well as preferences and feedback from both consumers, SSPs and staff.
- Provides group or individual instruction to consumers on how to effectively work with an SSP.
- Participates in curriculum development to offer skills and knowledge/ learning to consumers on how to effectively work with SSPs.
- Recruits potential SSPs and volunteers from sources such as colleges, universities, church groups and the community.
- Acts as spokesperson to create public awareness about HKNC SSP and volunteer program.
- Participates in grant writing or other activities to promote program reach and to obtain future funds to support SSP services locally and statewide
- Collaborates with other SSP programs (including those agencies who participate in the HKNC Deaf-Blind National Community of Practice) or volunteer agencies and contributes to professional development.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor's degree in Counseling, Education, Human Services, Sign Language Interpreting, Special Education, or a related field.
- Five years' experience working with the DeafBlind community.
- Competency in American Sign Language.
- Knowledge of SSP services and programs.
- Computer skills using current versions of Microsoft Windows, Excel, and Outlook.
Full time position with benefits including:
- Medical Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Paid Time Off
- Paid Holidays Off
- Life Insurance
- Short/Long Term Disability
- 403b Program w/Employer Match
- Employee Assistance Program
Apply today or contact Human Resources for more information