Core Position Summary:
Oversees, coordinates, and manages the operational and logistical aspects of CASIS sponsored ISS payloads and other projects as assigned. Serves as liaison between principal investigators, commercial entities, implementation partners, NASA points of contact, and CASIS functional areas. Reviews status of projects, manages schedules, and conducts technical meetings. Develops mechanisms for monitoring project progress and for intervention and problem solving. Supports and coordinates planning, scheduling, budgeting, implementation, and payload integration from preflight to postflight. This position will maintain direct customer interface on significant issues needing technical guidance, redirection, and/or resolution and establish processes and schedules that best support the on-time completion of both new and ongoing projects.
Travel: Candidate must be willing to travel approximately 20% of the time
- Provide project management and oversight to support the development and implementation of spaceflight projects to the ISS.
- Develop experiment and systems requirements documents, work authorization documents, and other products required for technical integration of payload hardware and/or other materials to be flown to the ISS.
- Support safety analyses of flight experiment hardware for presentation to NASA payload safety review panels, maintainability assessments, risk assessments, mitigation planning, testing, verification, validation and integration of payload systems, flight crew procedure development and ISS crew training, and all phases of mission operations support.
- Serve as liaison between principal investigators, commercial entities, implementation partners, NASA points of contact, and CASIS functional areas.
- Review status of projects, manage schedules, and conduct technical meetings on behalf of the Director of Operations.
- Support and attend technical conferences and outreach events as required.
Essentials for the Role:
- Requires excellent interpersonal skills for facilitating relationships with civilian and civil servant personnel and other decision-makers.
- Experience at working both independently and in a team-oriented, collaborative environment is essential.
- Must possess customer service skills.
- Requires the ability to manage and lead multi-discipline and/or cross functional projects and teams.
- A persuasive, encouraging, and motivating personality is a plus.
- Must possess excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Accuracy and attention to detail is crucial.
- Must have good organization and prioritization skills.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office.
Desired Education and Experience:
Bachelor’s degree in management or equivalent degree in engineering with demonstrated payload operations or research planning experience. A minimum of five years direct work experience in a project development capacity in a related discipline or industry.
To foster scientific discovery and technological innovation in space, expand U.S. leadership in commercial space, and inspire the next generation.
Stimulate, develop and manage the U.S. national uses of the ISS by other U.S. government agencies, academic institutions and private firms. Develop tools and techniques to communicate the value of uses of the ISS National Laboratory and increase the return on the U.S. investment in the ISS.
CASIS Strategies and Objectives
Identify the unique capabilities of the ISS that provide breakthrough opportunities for non-NASA uses in science and applications, technology development, and STEM education, including but not limited to human health, biological sciences, biotechnology, biological research, energy and biofuels, physical and materials science and development, engineering research and technology development, and Earth and space imaging and observations. Identify and prioritize the most promising research pathways, while ensuring diversity, without over-committing the resources of the ISS.
Role: Operations Project Manager
Apply for this job now.