The Counsel Original Productions role primarily focusses on live action scripted productions, but with some involvement in animation. It contributes and applies legal expertise, commercial awareness and forward-looking perspective to structure production, co-production and commissioning agreements to the maximum benefit of Disney Channels EMEA. It works closely with the General Manager/VP of Programming for Disney Channels EMEA and the creative and production management teams. Drives accurate and efficient processes and procedures to protect the business at all times while providing a value-for-money service. Fosters a relationship-building and supportive culture within the team.
- Legal / business Advisor, assisting Principal Counsel, Business & Legal Affairs (“B&LA”) on negotiations of developments, productions and co-productions in live action, with some involvement in animation.
- Development of appropriate deal terms to apply throughout EMEA and liaises with Disney Channels worldwide.
- Advising on current industry deal terms for the engagement of writers, directors, talent, crew and all aspects of live action production.
- Having and maintaining detailed knowledge of UK union terms for the engagement of talent, cast and crew. Some awareness of US deal-making and unions. Ability to work with foreign counsel, giving instructions and taking advice- working across a range of European, North American and Latin American countries.
- Maintaining detailed knowledge of international co-production treaties.
- Supervising and clearance arrangements including script review, set visits, props/artwork clearance. Familiarity with location, post-production and all other production agreements.
- EU Law Development Monitor
- UK Government Law Development Monitor
- Industry/Technical Advancement Monitor
- Coordinates B&LA activities in line with agreed service delivery levels
- Fosters a 'continuous improvement' culture within the team, ensuring processes, policies and procedures sufficiently protect the business from current and future risk, while reducing the cost of service provision where possible
- Strengthens internal and external relationships in ways that benefit the business
- Drives enhancement of own and others' awareness of commercial and policy developments, in an international arena, and the impact of these on the business
- Develops direct reports through provision of constructive appraisals, guidance and on-the-job coaching.
Works closely with Channels to develop deal negotiating strategy and deal structure, optimizing potential rights structures. Covers all product genres and windows within assigned territories. Involves:
- Develops a solid understanding of the customers' expectations and negotiating position through effective research and utilization of cross-functional expertise.
- Uses sound legal expertise, current knowledge of the industry and leverages cross-functional team knowledge to structure production agreements.
- Takes an educated and informed approach to deal negotiation, understanding the client's and the Channel's negotiating thresholds, and using negotiation techniques to close the deal
Industry & Policy Evaluation
- Considering the long-term business strategy for Disney Channel, its future content pipeline, linear and non-linear rights, and commercial position in structuring an acquisition
- Uses sound legal expertise, current knowledge of the industry and leveraging cross-functional territory team knowledge to structure acquisition agreements, protecting the business against potential challenges
- Detailed drafting of co-development and co-production agreements.
- Ability to assess finance structures, including review and approval on behalf of Disney of finance plans and third party finance arrangements. Familiarity with completion guarantors and banking agreements.
Coordinates with the B&LA team across territories to maintain a current awareness of developments in the industry and in international legal policy. Takes steps to evaluate the impact on Disney Channel of developments, and drives dissemination of this information across the business so the organisation may remain proactive. Involves:
- Identifying appropriate information sources from which to gain factual and 'Point of View' information
- Coordinating the gathering of information across the team
- Analyzing the information for impact on the organisation
- Delivering impact analysis to appropriate business owners
- Accountable to Principal Counsel in B&LA, Disney Channels EMEA
- Minimum 7-8 years pqe with experience, preferably both private practice and in-house, of live action scripted television programme production
- Demonstrable working knowledge of relevant law and EC regulatory issues eg relating to copyright matters and directives affecting programme production
- Knowledge and working experience of EC quotas and tax incentives/treaties
- Proven team management/ leadership experience
- Contract, Commercial and Intellectual Property Law
- Television production and broadcast industry experience
From world-class feature films to Disney-branded TV channels and hit TV programmes, to exhilarating theme parks, exciting virtual worlds, and Disney-branded products that invoke a lifetime of memories, The Walt Disney Company UK & Ireland has been delivering unforgettable entertainment experiences for more than 75 years. Additional Information
Occasional travel requirements to overseas territories
Please note: Only successful candidates will be contacted
See descriptionRole: Counsel, Original Productions Job Type: Permanent , Full TimeLocation: London, England, EnglandApply for this job now.