Essential job Duties &Responsibilities:
- Works closely with the Project Manager(s) to ensure timely and cost-efficient completion of projects and/or jobs.
- Establishes safe working environment and enforces established safety policies as outlined by company policy OSHA, HIOSH, state and federal laws, and EPA.
- Estimates, calculates, and forecasts labor costs and manpower needs for projects.
- Determines workforce staffing to maximize efficiency and beat project.
- estimations and deadlines using approved methods, techniques and tools to provide project managers with accurate estimates for bid proposals.
- Prepares various forms and reports for review.
- Communicates with internal and external customers, contractors, and subcontractors to build and maintain solid relationships.
- Leads and develops Assistant Superintendent, foreman, lead man, and production team members.
- Advises PM on status of all assigned projects, potential obstacles and delays and plans to minimize impact and beat project goals.
- Leads and develops the structural department team.
- Handle various administrative duties such as report writing, performance reviews, responding to email, interviews candidates, and form completion.
- Manages team members on use of equipment and/or tools.
- Estimates time, manpower, and materials required for assigned jobs.
- Evaluates team member performance and correct as necessary.
- Complies with requirements of the CBA.
- Assesses team member skills and provide necessary training opportunities as required to enhance or address deficiencies.
Working Conditions/Job Environment:
This position requires working outside in the elements with the following characteristics:
- A requirement for initial certification and re-certification (every five years) is verification from a licensed physician or physician assistant that the applicant is physically fit and free of debilitating illness and injury that could inhibit the individual from effectively performing the duties of a Structural Superintendent. Among the criteria that the licensed physician or physician assistant will assess are (but not limited to):
- Work in extreme temperature (heat and cold) for extended periods exceeding one hour.
- Safely move about on slippery, sloping, uneven and unstable surfaces.
- Safely enter, move about within and egress cargo tanks, cargo holds and other confined spaces that may involve maneuvering over 6 ft (1.8 m) ship framing; climbing up and down 30 ft (9.1 m) vertical ladders and 80ft (24.3 m) stairways.
- Safely move between spaces and into/out of compartments on marine vessels that can involve stepping over a door threshold or coaming of 24 inches (61 cm) in height; moving through restricted openings or man holes of 24 inches by 24 inches (61 cm X 61 cm), crouching (lowering height by bending knees); kneeling (placing knees on ground); and stooping (lowering height by bending at the waist).
- Manipulate mechanical devices using manual and digital dexterity, and strength to open and close watertight doors that may weigh up to 55 pounds (25 kg).
- Perform visual inspections and surveys that can involve the use of hand tools such as spanners, valve wrenches, hammers, screwdrivers, pliers.
- Responsible for the managing, mentoring and review of performance on a regular basis
- High School Diploma or equivalent work experience is required.
- Ability to read and interpret blueprints and sketches
- SMAW, GMAW, FCAW, GTAW experience is required.
- Experience with US Navy Ship repair/NAVSEA regulation is required.
- AWS certification, ABS/NAVSEA certifications is preferred
- Associates degree in Industrial Trades/Applied Science is preferred
- Proficient with Word and Excel
- Must be flexible in work hours
- Minimum of 10 years of experience in shipyard heavy industry is required
- Extensive knowledge of ship repair processes.
- Knowledge of managing Federal Contracts
- Ability to organize and prioritize to meet deadlines
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
- Interpersonal skills, good attitude, and exceptional work ethic
- Work requires establishing priorities and meeting deadlines.
Work Authorization/Security Clearance:
- Must be a U.S. citizen and able to obtain DBIDS and TWIC card
- Valid State of Hawaii drivers' license in good standing, class 3 or higher
Role: Structural Superintendent
Apply for this job now.