Job Announcement: Eastside Women’s Emergency Shelter Overnight Staff
The Eastside Women’s Emergency Shelter
The Eastside Women’s Emergency Shelter is a life-saving drop-in shelter that is run by The Sophia Way, a nonprofit agency located in Bellevue, Washington. The Emergency Shelter is intended to be a life-line to women who would otherwise be sleeping outside.
The Sophia Way’s Mission
To help end homelessness for adult women in East King County by providing shelter, case management, life skills training, social services and supportive permanent housing, offering a path from homelessness to stable independent living. The role also requires one to have experience with de-escalation, crisis intervention, providing trauma informed care, and harm reduction principles so that we ensure we are providing services to those who are most in need, not the most willing to simply meet program requirements.
The Emergency Shelter staff supports The Sophia Way’s mission by providing direct service and supervision to program participants, helping them adapt to community living and program policies, and ensuring effective operation of the shelter program.
The essential functions include but are not limited to …
- Maintain a safe, supportive environment within the shelter
- Monitor doors and shelter space to maintain safety
- Perform intakes for new clients
- Assist clients with shelter routine
- Support clients in following all shelter procedures
- Help clients work through conflict with others living in the shelter
- Keep the shelter clean
- Communicate your observations of clients to shelter management through a daily log
- Set up and clean up meals, following all food safety guidelines
- Ensure all paperwork is complete and organized, including client intake paperwork, attendance logs, bus ticket logs, etc. May include some overnight data entry.
- Intervene in client crises under the direction of shelter management
- Experience (paid or volunteer) working with homeless adults preferred
- Willingness to work with a diverse population
- Ability to cope with a potentially high-stress environment
- Ability to maintain good boundaries
- Ability to lift up to 25 pounds repeatedly
- Ability to remain alert and on duty throughout the shift
- Ability to communicate well both orally and in written form
- Food handlers permit or willingness to obtain
- First Aid/CPR or willingness to obtain
- TB Test or willingness to obtain
Reports to: Director of Emergency Services
Work station: Various Eastside host sites, usually Bellevue or Kirkland
Hours/schedule: Part Time: Saturday and Sunday, 8:00 pm -8:00 am. Shifts are overnight.
Compensation: $17.21-$18.44/hour DOE. Benefits include 80 hours PTO (paid time off) and 9 paid holidays annually.
To apply: Please send resume and cover letter. No phone calls, please.
The Sophia Way is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate and is open to all qualified candidates, regardless of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, religion or national origin. We also willingly comply with laws that govern age discrimination, equal pay and sexual harassment.
The Sophia Way’s Mission
To help end homelessness for adult women in East King County by providing shelter, case management, life skills training, social services and supportive permanent housing, offering a path from homelessness to stable independent living.
Role: Eastside Women's Emergency Shelter Overnight Staff
Apply for this job now.