Tides is a values-based, social change platform that leverages individual and institutional leadership and investment to positively impact local and global communities. Tides pursues multiple, related strategies to promote this mission. From green non-profit center's to programmatic consulting, donor advised funds to fiscal sponsorship, grants management to risk management and more, Tides gives members of the non-profit and philanthropic community freedom to focus on the change it wants to see. For more information, please visit #removed#
The Senior GL Accountant works with Tides staff to provide financial services and reporting to both internal staff and external clients. Analyzing and recording transactions, posting general ledger journal entries and reconciling various balance sheet and income statement accounts are essential duties of this position. The position will also possess a working knowledge of the NetSuite financial system or similar ERP and will assist in the maintenance of operational policies and practices that facilitate efficient operation and financial management of the organization.
The Senior GL Accountant is an exempt position. Exempt employees are expected to work the appropriate and necessary time in order to complete key assignments and related tasks on schedule.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide support for the accurate and timely preparation of financial reports for both external and internal clients .
- Review, analyze, record, and reconcile transactions.
- Prepare monthly schedules and reconciliations of various balance sheet and income statement accounts .
- Produce routine and customized financial reports.
- Assist in the preparation of documentation for annual and other external audits.
- Provide support for the preparation of IRS Form 990 and other tax filings.
- Engage with internal staff and external clients for purposes of financial training, consultation, problem-solving, and planning.
- Provide back-up coverage to Finance Operations.
- Assist in processes improvement and enhance team efficiency.
- Other projects as assigned by management.
- May be required to train and/or guide other team members.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Strong knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), nonprofit accounting, and internal control processes.
- Strong analytical and accounting skills. Must be able to identify, analyze, and problem-solve accounting or compliance issues.
- Ability to work independently within a fast-paced, task-directed, a deadline-oriented environment with minimal supervision.
- Experienced in analyzing and reconciling transactions and balance sheet accounts, including cash accounts, prepaids, fixed assets and liabilities accounts.
- Strong critical thinking and decision-making ability and able to make financially sound judgements.
- Strong verbal and written communications skills with the ability to cooperate and work collaboratively toward solutions that generally benefit all involved parties.
- Ability to hold information confidential with excellent judgment.
- Proficiency with MS Office, NetSuite and/or similar ERP, Salesforce highly preferred.
- Excellent organizational, planning, prioritizing and time management skills.
- Ability to explain financial statements and accounting concepts to non-finance personnel.
- Experience with developing and maintaining reporting systems procedures and practices.
Education & Experience:
- Undergraduate degree in Accounting or Finance with an emphasis in accounting required.
- Non-profit accounting experience preferred.
- 3 - 4+ years of experience in a similar position.
Please submit a resume and a thoughtful cover letter online. Your cover letter should express your interest in working for Tides and your qualifications for the role. You may also share your detailed LinkedIn profile with us. Tides is an Equal Opportunity employer. We value diversity and inclusion and we look forward to reviewing applications from all who are qualified to apply.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Tides is an equal opportunity employer. We strongly encourage applications from women, people of color, and bilingual and bicultural individuals, as well as members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender communities. Applicants shall not be discriminated against because of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, or medical condition including acquired immune deficiency syndrome (AIDS) and AIDS-related conditions. Also pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we encourage and will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Applicants with Disabilities:
Reasonable accommodation will be made so that qualified disabled applicants may participate in the application process. If you seek an accommodation, please advise in writing at the time you apply.