1) Inspect food preparation and serving areas to ensure observance of safe, sanitary food-handling practices.
2) Turn or stir foods to ensure even cooking.
3) Season and cook food according to recipes or personal judgment and experience.
4) Observe and test foods to determine if they have been cooked sufficiently, using methods such as tasting, smelling, or piercing them with utensils.
5) Weigh, measure, and mix ingredients according to recipes or personal judgment, using various kitchen utensils and equipment.
6) Portion, arrange, and garnish food, and serve food to waiters or patrons.
7) Regulate temperature of ovens, broilers, grills, and roasters.
8) Substitute for or assist other cooks during emergencies or rush periods.
9) Bake, roast, broil, and steam meats, fish, vegetables, and other foods.
10) Wash, peel, cut, and seed fruits and vegetables to prepare them for consumption.
11) Estimate expected food consumption; then requisition or purchase supplies, or procure food from storage.
12) Carve and trim meats such as beef, veal, ham, pork, and lamb for hot or cold service, or for sandwiches.
13) Coordinate and supervise work of kitchen staff.
14) Consult with supervisory staff to plan menus, taking into consideration factors such as costs and special event needs.
15) Butcher and dress animals, fowl, or shellfish, or cut and bone meat prior to cooking.
16) Bake breads, rolls, cakes, and pastries.
We are a cafeteria style soul food restaurant located in the Historic West-End.
Role: Prep Cook
Apply for this job now.