Spencer Clarke Group are currently recruiting for a Health & Safety and Compliance Manager to work in the Hackney area.
A local authority based in Hackney have a fantastic opportunity for a Health & Safety and Compliance Manager to join their team.
Purpose of the role :
- To be the Competent Person for Health, Safety and Risk Management within the Commercial Estates Team and lead adviser on all matters relating to health, safety, welfare and statutory compliance in relation to its commercial landlord duties.
- To manage the delivery of compliance with statutory obligations across the Council's Commercial Property Portfolio, in terms of both landlord and tenant duties.
- Develop, implement and monitor local practices and procedures to ensure they support Commercial Estate objectives, meet Council standards and aim for best practice.
- To liaise with senior managers, contractors and tenants across the Commercial Estate and Strategic Property Services in support of an integrated approach to health, safety, welfare and best practice into their strategic planning and organisational decision making.
- To promote and develop a positive safety culture within the Commercial Estate Team and among its tenants, establishing and maintaining principles of effective collaboration, partnership working and stakeholder engagement
- To be the primary point of contact for the Commercial Estates Service with regulatory, enforcement and similar agencies for compliance and incident management.
- To provide practical advice and guidance on the interpretation of duties and responsibilities under commercial lease arrangements
- ● Advise and support the Head of Commercial Estates and other team members in their roles as Responsible Persons (in law) for compliance in relation to health and safety.
- To develop and implement a clear plan towards overall compliance in the Commercial Portfolio based on the principles of Plan, Do, Check, Act. This will include a clear summary of obligations on the Council in respect of compliance and a strategy for delivering on those obligations, including clear practical steps and milestones, to be agreed with the Head of Commercial Estates. The outcome should provide a robust system for ensuring continual improvement in compliance on the part of both the Council as Landlord and its commercial tenants.
- Ensure that there are regular compliance audits on all risk areas and ensure that there are action plans form these audit with targets and timescale
- Provide a lead on occupier/tenant engagement across the Commercial Estate Portfolio, with the development of a coherent and prioritised tenant engagement strategy
- Ensure team members work effectively in their individual roles and collectively to support Strategic Property Services objectives, best practice aims, collaborative working with Council services and external agencies.
- Provide a comprehensive compliance, advisory and developmental, 'business risk management', resource across the Commercial Estates Service, extending this across Council services where agreed. This will include the identification of hazards, quantifying risks, advising on management controls and monitoring their performance.
- Manage the Commercial Estate team's production of policy, procedures, guidance, risk management controls, audit programmes, safety inspections and checks ensuring these support Strategic Property Services and wider Council's aims.
- Ensure effective document control, data security and confidentiality for documents, files and information held by the team.
- To manage the health and safety budget with the budget holder.
- To participate in management team meetings and projects within the Commercial Estates Ser