The Chemical R&D Scientist I demonstrates in depth working knowledge of scientific principles and leads the implementation of new methods/processes to solve problems. This role prepares and reviews summaries of observations and is capable of verbal and written presentations documented proficiently in laboratory notebooks to internal and external audiences. The incumbent will write and review SOPs, training modules, technical transfer documents, specifications, summary reports and technical reports to be sent to clients or used in regulatory filings and is responsible for ensuring complex technical information is well understood by team associates, management and clients. The position performs audits of laboratory work and reports and maintains a high level of professional expertise through familiarity with scientific literature. The Chemical R&D Scientist I determines appropriate methods and procedures on new assignments. The position requires superior leadership behaviors of the Alcami core competencies and non-negotiables, as well as expertise in functional competencies included in this position profile.
· Solves synthetic problems with minimal supervision.
· Executes synthesis activities from gram to multi-kilogram scale with minimal supervision.
· Isolates and purifies products and intermediates by using standard laboratory techniques.
· Interprets and communicates analytical data.
· Performs routine analytical procedures to monitor reaction progress (i.e. TLC, GC, NMR, HPLC, KF).
· Designs multi-step synthetic process from commercially available starting materials to target compounds.
· Performs routine maintenance and troubleshooting of equipment with supervision.
· Writes project documentation (developmental reports and protocols) of medium complexity with supervision.
· Establishes and coordinates activities at contract chemical and analytical laboratories, as required.
· Ensures timely completion and compliance with cGMP and all other relevant company training requirements.
Education and Experience
· Bachelor's degree in Chemistry or related field required with minimum of 9+ years' experience, OR
· Master's degree in Chemistry or related field with minimum of 3+ years' experience, OR
· Doctoral degree with a 0-2 years of previous experience.
· Consistently demonstrates honesty and integrity through personal example.
· Follows all safety policies and leads by example a safety first culture.
· Produces high quality work product with a focus on first time right.
· Complies with the company code of conduct and policies and regulatory standards.
Alcami Core Leadership Competencies
· Thinks strategically. Quickly identifies and acts on opportunities. Considers the downstream impact. Seeks to understand the why. Focuses on work that matters.
· Develops organization and others. Takes ownership to develop self and others. Seeks out new opportunities and experiences for continuous learning.
· Acts decisively. Makes and acts on decisions quickly. Makes decisions with the customer and their patients in mind. Meets commitments with a sense of urgency. Seeks ways to be more efficient.
· Drives performance. Holds self and others accountable. Delivers results first time right. Never settles for status quo. Willing to have tough conversations. Asks for feedback and takes action to improve.
· Passion for customers. Listens to understand. Asks the right questions. Gets to the heart of the matter and uses that insight to provide value.
· Works collaboratively. Seeks out the experience of others with the aim for better results. Open minded regardless where ideas originate. Flexible and easy to work with.
· Understands reaction mechanisms and can apply them to practical execution of given synthesis.
· Knowledge in handling, analyzing and characterizing chemicals, pharmaceuticals and related organic molecules.
· Requires minimal hands on experience in analytical techniques such as HPLC, GC, etc.
· Ability to apply scientific principles, theories and concepts to research problems and develop solutions for analytical problems related to drug substances in compliance with appropriate Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and regulatory guidelines.
· Demonstrates technical ability to assist in the design and execution of non-routine experiments with supervision.
· Demonstrates ability to correctly analyze data/results and interpret outcome of experiments and to propose appropriate follow-up with supervision.
· Ability to read, analyze and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals technical procedures and governmental regulations and write reports, business correspondence and procedure manuals.
· Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers and the general public.
· Ability to perform complex math functions, compute ratios, rates and percentages while drawing and interpreting graphs and charts.
· Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where limited standardization exists.
· Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Software
Help shape the future of medicine and join us - we are a pharmaceutical contract development manufacturing organization (CDMO).
Alcami Corporation is the first company to offer a solution that is tailored to small and mid-size pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies. We offer a range of services from four distinct pillars: Development Services, Analytical Testing, Drug Product, and APIs. Beyond that, we can integrate our services so customers experience a simplified engagement with a single project management relationship, full visibility from development into manufacturing, and shorter turnaround times. With six locations in the U.S. and a global location in The Netherlands, the Alcami family is growing rapidly. Picture yourself at Alcami and apply today.
Diversity and Inclusion:
Alcami values diversity and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. All employment decisions are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, age, national origin, physical or mental disability, past or present military service, marital status, gender identification or expression, medical condition (including genetic characteristics) or any other protected characteristic as established by law.
Role: Chemical R&D Scientist
Apply for this job now.