Company: SHELTERING ARMS CHILDREN AND FAMILY SERVICES, INC.
Job Type: Apprenticeship, FullTime
Sheltering Arms is seeking a Outreach Worker for our Youth Services program located in Queens. The Outreach Worker will work to intervene and mediate conflicts and provide support services to individuals who are at high risk for involvement in gun violence.
- Conduct outreach to the community (individually and as a team member) to build strong relationships with youth, residents, businesses, and community groups
- Form relationships with high risk youth in the community
- Engage high risk to rethink the impulse to act violently and to invest in redirecting their life goals to reject violence
- Work with team members to coordinate an inclusive and immediate strategic response when shootings/killings take place
- Investigate causes of shootings/killings to assist in mediating situations and preventing retaliation between individuals and groups
- Report to the Outreach Worker Supervisor and keep him/her informed of all relevant community activities
- Recruit and mentor a caseload of persons at high risk of involvement in shootings and killings.
- Provide participants with support and referrals to programs and opportunities in the community (e.g., job programs, GED, drug treatment, and mentoring)
- Document all work including detailed case notes, referrals, program/service enrollment for participants, and changes in participant status
- Facilitate violence prevention and life skills workshops in local schools, parks, and CBO's
- Attend all mandatory program trainings and meetings.
- Attend and participate in weekly staff meetings and other team meetings as required
- Other duties as assigned.
- A High School Diploma is required
- Extensive experience working with high risk youth and gang members
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Experience and/or training in crisis intervention
- Residence within the target area preferred
- Ability to work a flexible schedule that includes late evenings, weekends, and holidays
- Committed to working toward positive community change
It is the policy of Sheltering Arms Children and Family Services that the Agency wholly complies with the equal treatment of all employees and applicants for employment without unlawful discrimination as to an individual's perceived or actual race, creed, color, national origin, alienate, citizenship status, gender, gender identity, age, disability, marital status, partnership status, sexual orientation, ethnicity, religion, or veteran status in all employment decisions, including but not limited to recruitment, hiring, compensation, training and apprenticeship, promotion, upgrading, demotion, downgrading, transfer, layoff and termination and all other terms and conditions of employment.
Powered by JazzHR