JOB TITLE: Youth Counselor
LOCATION: White Plains
HOURS: 40 Hours Per Week
The Youth Counselor will work as a team member to provide academic, recreation and social skills programming to the school age children/young adults in a shelter setting.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Works as a team member to provide academic, recreational and social skills programming to the school age children/young adults in the Center.
- Creates a group environment that promotes and expects positive behavioral norms. Helps create a safe-haven for neighborhood youth.
- Develops and implements age appropriate activities and programs.
- Documents monthly participation and outcomes; analyzes results and prepares recommendations.
- Participates in initial training, ongoing staff development and supervision.
- Maintains proper safety standards in regards to the health of participants in all programs.
- Ensures that the center is clean and well maintained.
- Other duties as assigned.
EXPERIENCE, EDUCATION AND SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
College degree or some college preferred. Previous experience working with children and/or young adults is essential. Experience working with low-income population preferred. Must enjoy the challenges involved with working with youth who may present a number of academic and social deficits. Upbeat, engaging personality is desirable. Must be available to work afternoons, evenings, weekends, and holidays. Seasonal hours may be subject to change. A clean/valid NYS Drivers License for at least 2 years is required.
AGENCY PROFILE & EMPLOYEE EXPECTATIONS:
Westhab is the premier organization of our kind in our region, providing housing and supportive services for more than 10,000 of the most vulnerable members of our community each year. We are staffed by an extraordinary group of hard working professionals that are fully committed to our mission - Building Communities. Changing Lives. Working at Westhab is not easy. Our expectations for all staff are high. We believe that the people and the communities that we have the privilege to serve deserve our very best every day. We are results-driven organization that focuses on empowerment and impact. If you want to apply for this opportunity, it should only be because you feel ready for the challenges and expectations that come with joining this kind of team. (EOE)
Powered by JazzHR