- Teaching Assistant - EYFS/KS1 and KS2
- Southend-On-Sea, Essex
- Full-Time, 8:30am to 3:30pm
talentED are recruiting for Teaching Assistants for our client Primary School in Southend-On-Sea. This school is rated Good by Ofsted and they value every child and ensure that they foster the individuality of their interests and experiences. Their bespoke curriculum is carefully planned to enable them to teach all the National Curriculum subjects in a creative and inspiring way. The school engage children in a range of activities that enable them to develop their knowledge and skills, and equip them for life beyond school.
Your role as a Teaching Assistant will be to provide support to students with a range of special education needs, this might be needs including social and personal issues or in an area such as Autism, Asperger's syndrome, Global development delay or downs syndrome. Some children may have other more emotional needs such as Challenging behaviour, Social interaction, Mental health issues & Bullying.
These pupils could be aged 3 - 11 years old depending on the school. However we will match you up to the appropriate age group for your skill set.
Your job role as a Teaching Assistant will include:
- working with school staff to select students for mentoring
- discussing the aims of mentoring with pupils
- supporting pupils inside and outside of the classroom
- agreeing and writing action plans
- liaising with teachers, social workers and educational psychologists
- helping pupils to increase their confidence and self-esteem by listening to them and devising appropriate strategies.
It may be an advantage to have professional qualifications or training in areas such as health, psychology, education, guidance, or youth or social work.
You will need to demonstrate a good standard of general education, and you will need Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) clearance.
Key skills for Teaching Assistants:
- Interpersonal skills
- Listening skills
- Organisational skills
- Problem-solving skills
- Communication skills
- A non-judgemental approach
- Ability to relate to young people and act as a role model
Qualities and experience we look for:
- Prior experience working with children or vulnerable adults - perhaps you have worked in schools or a care background before?
- Qualifications relating to education or medical/care. This could be a manual handling certificate through to a degree in counselling. If you think it could be relevant, we are interested in speaking to you!
- Had experience with family members who have special education needs or needed special medical support.
- A passion for education and want the opportunity to make a real difference to a child's life.
Pay & Working Hours
Teaching Assistants are typically paid between £11 and £11.50 per hour. Income figures are intended as a guide only.
A full-time Teaching Assistant usually works between 32 & 35 hours per week. Starting the school day at 8.30am and finishing at 3.30pm with a 30 minute lunch break. There are also part-time, casual and job share options available.
All pay rates quoted will be inclusive of 12.07% statutory holiday pay. This advert is for a temporary position, but it may become permanent at a later date upon school discretion.
talentED is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children. All candidates must undertake or have undertaken a valid enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check. Full assistance provided.
If you are interested in a role as a Teaching Assistant, click apply!